• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Issues for This Noob!

jplace1011

I need some help and advice asap.

I noticed fuel was leaking from the bottom hose of my fuel filter. I removed the Top and Bottom Valves, No. 5 & 17 on the chart, there didn’t seem to be any Seals for either valve. According to the TM they’re should be seals, No. 4 on the chart.

I couldn’t find any new seals. I went to the local O’Reily’s and purchased a box of various O-rings. I put new O-rings onto the Upper and Lower Drain Valves. I freaking stripped the Lower Valve in the process. Noooo! I don’t know if I will be able to find a replacement. I put the Lower Valve back into place, it seemed snug even though it was stripped.

I went to start the engine and it would turn over. So I took the fuel cap off. It still didn’t turn over and fuel was bleeding out of the lower drain valve via the attached hose.

So why isn’t it starting now, what should I do? Am I right in thinking the lower valve is leaking because it’s stripped? Do I need to do something else to get it to turn over?

I could get a replacement fuel filter, the screw on type. I’ve heard mixed reviews, I’m not yet sold. The stock one tells you if there’s water in the system and heats the fuel if it gets too cold. I’m not against the screw on type.

Thank you in advance for any input and advice. I still don’t know very much and it gets very frustrating at these times.

@cucvrus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valor

I need some help and advice asap.

I noticed fuel was leaking from the bottom hose of my fuel filter. I removed the Top and Bottom Valves, No. 5 & 17 on the chart, there didn’t seem to be any Seals for either valve. According to the TM they’re should be seals, No. 4 on the chart.

I couldn’t find any new seals. I went to the local O’Reily’s and purchased a box of various O-rings. I put new O-rings onto the Upper and Lower Drain Valves. I freaking stripped the Lower Valve in the process. Noooo! I don’t know if I will be able to find a replacement. I put the Lower Valve back into place, it seemed snug even though it was stripped.

I went to start the engine and it would turn over. So I took the fuel cap off. It still didn’t turn over and fuel was bleeding out of the lower drain valve via the attached hose.

So why isn’t it starting now, what should I do? Am I right in thinking the lower valve is leaking because it’s stripped? Do I need to do something else to get it to turn over?

I could get a replacement fuel filter, the screw on type. I’ve heard mixed reviews, I’m not yet sold. The stock one tells you if there’s water in the system and heats the fuel if it gets too cold. I’m not against the screw on type.

Thank you in advance for any input and advice. I still don’t know very much and it gets very frustrating at these times.

@cucvrus

Is the truck turning over and not starting or is it not turning over at all? If it is turning over and not starting, you probably have introduced air into the fuel system by removing the drain valve on the bottom. You mentioned you stripped the bottom drain valve. They are plastic as I recall. Easy to do. You should order a couple of new ones from a GM dealer and also the seals that I mentioned in another thread and prime the fuel system. Once you get the air out of the fuel system, you should be good to go. Stop the leak at the bottom drain valve first then loosen the top valve to purge the air out of the fuel system as you crank the engine. You can put a piece of clear hose on the return line from injection pump to return line to see if there are any air bubbles in the fuel. Hope this helps. Good luck.

jplace1011

Is the truck turning over and not starting or is it not turning over at all? If it is turning over and not starting, you probably have introduced air into the fuel system by removing the drain valve on the bottom. You mentioned you stripped the bottom drain valve. They are plastic as I recall. Easy to do. You should order a couple of new ones from a GM dealer and also the seals that I mentioned in another thread and prime the fuel system. Once you get the air out of the fuel system, you should be good to go. Stop the leak at the bottom drain valve first then loosen the top valve to purge the air out of the fuel system as you crank the engine. You can put a piece of clear hose on the return line from injection pump to return line to see if there are any air bubbles in the fuel. Hope this helps. Good luck.
@Valor thank for the good input and advice sir! Yes it will crank but not start. I had a feeling it had something to do with air in the system.

Valor

@Valor thank for the good input and advice sir! Yes it will crank but not start. I had a feeling it had something to do with air in the system.

Maybe you can use teflon tape to seal the leak on the drain plugs that are stripped. Best would be to get new. Also when purging air from fuel system, you can take out a few glow plugs that are easy to get to and it will help with cranking the engine. It will make it easier on the starter.

jplace1011

BTW if you are trying to start by spray something in the intake manifold, DON'T USE STARTER FLUID/ EITHER.
Use diesel or wd-40
@Lil Pete That is something I have read about! It can cause some major damage. It says Do Not Use Starting Fluid for a reason right?

All I had to do was bleed the air out of the Fuel Filter Housing via the Top Drain. Good looking out and thanks for the heads up!

Lil Pete

Also, if it has not been mentioned before, when priming the fuel system/ getting air out , unplug the pink wire on the injector pump when cranking over for purging the air. Plug it back in when you want to try to start. As a side note disconnecting the pink wire is also a way to hinder theft.........just remember to plug it back into the I.P. when you want to start your truck.

jplace1011

Also, if it has not been mentioned before, when priming the fuel system/ getting air out , unplug the pink wire on the injector pump when cranking over for purging the air. Plug it back in when you want to try to start. As a side note disconnecting the pink wire is also a way to hinder theft.........just remember to plug it back into the I.P. when you want to start your truck.
NICE!! Thank you for the info.!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks