• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel filter not priming

joho

I can't get the fuel filter to prime all the way, I can only get a spitting foam mixture out of the top bleeder hose when cranking it over, the filter sems to be full of fuel. How do I look in the past forums to see if anyone else had this problem?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine took a long time as well. Just dont crank and crank and blow the starter to bits. Crank it for 20 seconds (no more than) and let it sit for a minute and try it again. The second time is usually the charm.

That is the way I do it, if someone has a better program, please expand on this.

I gotta change this box jobbie out to a spin on!!!!!

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do I look in the past forums to see if anyone else had this problem?
Click on forum / Click on CUCV / click 'start thread' / in the title box, type in what you want to look for / place the cursor in the message box / 5 items show up that most closely match your title.

Or you can look under the "search" key at the top of the page, just under 'steel soldiers'

Good Luck!@! :razz:

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you unplugging the pink wire at the IP, while priming and have the fuel cap off?

The search function still pulls up the old threads.

Use the advanced search, and look in the cucv forum, for best results.

Also, the proceedure is outlined in the -20 TM .

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a squeese bulb for a outboard motor in the fuel line. It only takes a few squeeses by hand to fill the filter. It's alot easier on the starter and relay now.

joho

I took the fuel injector pump top off and it is full of fuel but when I crank the engine it just gets air bubbles no fuel, I took the fuel pump off and it seams like it might have slid off of the shaft, is this possible?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not unless it is bent or broken(visibly)

Did you follow the bleeding proceedure outline in the -20?

Last edited:

joho

The shaft looks good, maybe the pump went bad. auto store said $20 for a new pump, that sounds too cheap.

CUCV85

The shaft looks good, maybe the pump went bad. auto store said $20 for a new pump, that sounds too cheap.
fuel lift pump or "feed pump" was 15.00 at Advance auto parts when I bought one a couple years back. I told the counter for a vin J engine, I don't think it mattered though?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something else you might want to check is the fuel line coming from the frame to the lift pump (fuel pump). The 6.2L are known to wearout the passenger side motor mount and allow the engine to drop. This causes the rubber line to rub on the frame inturn causing it to wear a hole. You can crank all day and you will just be drawing air into the system.

The way I checked this out is to remove the fuel cap and take a airchuck and rag and pressurize the tank. If it has a hole you will know it quick. This appies to all the rubber lines between the tank and the fuel filter.

Good luck.

Warthog