• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter - Racor compatibility question

pacebm

When I pick up my M1009 next week I plan to fully service the truck. As part of this I would like to go ahead and replace the mil spec fuel filter with a spin on type. I read all the threads about the NAPA base but I like the Racor 460 due to the vent and hand pump. My question is this: Do you have to use Racor filters with these systems? I was thinking about just buying the head and then using a Wix spin on due to availability. The see thru bowl is just not that important to me but I would want the filter to remove water. I have the fuel filter comparison chart that someone graciously posted in another thread and there appears to be several Wix/NAPA filters with water block, drain and 1-14 threads. Is anyone already doing this? If so, let me know which filter you are using. The filters 3405, 3411, 3412 and 3417 all appear to be close in size but I wasn't sure if the Racor system had a unique design that allowed only their filters. Thanks for the help.

I attached the spec sheet for the Racor system.

Attachments

pacebm

I am in Alabama and don't really need the heater and I have never had a water in fuel problem so that is why I was going to ditch the bowl and try an easier to get spin on. Do you know if the heads will accept other filters?