• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Replacement

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All!

I'm up to page 135 on the CUCV forums and am new to the Military versions....

Am going to pick up a M1008 from San Antonio sometime in the near future --- waiting on the dreaded EUC:-(! and have a question concerning the fuel filter.

I have worked on most all GM trucks in the past and resurected several from the grave but never a diesel unit. I have worked on all types of LARGE diesels but nothing smaller than a 12-71. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers in replacing the fuel filter...is it a easy replacement...does it seal easily...am used to spin ons and bolt ons.

Any pointers would be appreciated as I would like to drive it back tp Louisiana intead of trailering it back although I will bring a trailer just in case.

I will be bringing the usual for the preemptive strike: oil / batts / cables / lube

Any advice or input in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Wolf.Dose

It is not completly clear to me what you realy want. Replace the original fuel filter by a new catridge (which is a NAPA part, if you work in a Chevy or GM shop, you should find them, MY 1982 to 1992) or do you mean the replacement by a standard 1 quart diesel fuel filter system of any brand. There you need the the carrier, a cartide filter and adjust the hoses to the propper diamenter. Modern diesel fuel filter have a water drain at the bottom. On the left side of the picture you see a mass production model diesel duel filter behind the rear batterie. This system works for me since more than 5 years without any problem.
Wolf

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i also need to change a filter on a 1009. is that a filter that i can get from napa? should i be looking at a upgrade like that one?

Wolf.Dose

To my experiances in the auto parts shops in the US (I'm over there about two to three times a year), the shops do not have the original filters in stock any more. The parts are over ten years out of mass production, so they are not found any more in the catalouges. Diesel is a very sad story in the States.
So , if you find a replacement like I did it will make your live much easyer. Do not scout junk yards, go to the shops of trucks or construction maschinery. They have up to date parts. Especially on contruction maschinery with TIR IIIA or TIR IV engines the fuel filters will be on the market for many more years than for light duty trucks. Agricultural or commercial use tractors also have a good choise of fuel filters. You dedicated dealer will know what is a long runner (if he is of the old type dealers). Usualy the cartrides come from many makes, like Mann & Hummel, Knecht, Donalson, John Deere (green line and yellow line), Caterpillar, Perkins, Yanmar, Volvo and the other after market makers. Try to find one which is used with most of them, thats a long lasting one.
Wolf

lavarok

To my experiances in the auto parts shops in the US (I'm over there about two to three times a year), the shops do not have the original filters in stock any more. The parts are over ten years out of mass production, so they are not found any more in the catalouges. Diesel is a very sad story in the States.

Wolf
Every Autozone I have been to in FL has them...that goes for Advanced Auto as well. At least 2 on the shelf in each case.

Ken_86gt

I got mine off the shelf as well at AZ. Shortly after I upgraded the assembly to commercial type spin-on. I was having leaking issues around the filter/base. If you see evidence of fuel leakage you will likely have starting problems.

Wolf.Dose

The fuel leaking problem is originally based on the zink casting of the fuel filter mount, with might get the Zinc-pest (white blooming of the base). This means the part is scrap.
If you get the parts at the NAPA store or at the Advanced Auto parts still have them, you are lucky. Neither in Waterloo, Iowa nor in Horicon, Wisconsin nor in Augusta, Georgia I got them since years, at least not in the time frame I needed them.
Wolf

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wolf.dose

wold.dose,

Sorry for not being clear:oops:.

I am used to working with the bolt through and spin on filters on large industrial and marine engines. I am not familiar with the cartridge type on the m1008.

After looking at a picture of the cartridge for the m1008/9, I noticed that they have several (5?) o-rings on the back. I can understand needing to place the filter flat against the housing, but does it need (or recommend) a fine coating of lube on the o-rings to seal properly?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks!