• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Service

sgtmike3

Got a few questions about our M998 and the fuel filter/separator.

What is the recommended service procedure for the filter?

Should we replace the entire unit when servicing or just the filter inside?

Is there a commercial source for the Kaydon filter? I have located the part numbers for the filter element. We are a government agency so Ebay isn't really an option.

And lastly, is there anything special we need to do with the water separator when servicing?

We aren't experiencing any fuel problems but our mechanic was wanting to replace the filter as part of normal servicing. We recently had to replace the water pump on the HMMWV and discovered that the Army had replaced the original 6.2 with the 6.5. Other than this minor issue our truck has been a great gift from the LESO program.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Mike,

No need to replace the entire unit, just the filter. The separator can be re-used if it is in good condition. NAPA auto should be able to cross the filter number to Wix or something else.

The complete procedure for your mechanic is covered in paragraphs 3-32 and 3-33 in the TM 9-2320-280-20-2, which is available for download HERE: http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M998/TM-9-2320-280-20-2.pdf

sgtmike,

We also recently aquired a HMMWV. I have been getting filters and parts from the following sources:

www.hummerpartsguy.com

Kascar

www.real4wd.com

I have been using the govt credit card for online purchases, but I believe both places do purchase orders, etc.

Our local NAPA also is able to get things. We bought batteries from them and they have all the govt labels on them.

We're getting ready to paint ours soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks