• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter Unit help

ultim8gamr

I have been having problems with startup of my M1008. after just sitting for and hour and a half this morning it would not fire up and run. I had to keep cranking the engine over, I did wait for the starter to cool and didnt run it too hard. Finally it started. I have been having fuel startup problems since i bought the truck last month so today i replaced the fuel filter. After replacing the filter I opened the vent on the top to get more fuel in it and all the air out. Fuel was dripping/pouring from between the filter and the filter unit. I dont know where exactly it is coming from, but i did notice it squirting out from the drivers side of the unit coming from between the filter and the unit. What could it be that is wrong? Is there a common part that needs to be replaced? I need to get this fixed ASAP. Any help is greatly appreciated.
John

ultim8gamr

picture the fuel filter looking at it from the grille with fuel running from it. Sorry i dont have any pictures, i dont thinks they'd provide a very good picture in this case. I waited a few hours and replaced the filter just now and it seems to work without leaking. i tried adjusting some of the lines (input and output) to make sure they were sealed where they connected to the fuel filter unit. I still dont know for sure whether or not it fixed the starting problems. i guess i'll find out tonight or tomorrow morning after its sat for a few hours.
John

acetomatoco

O rings on the new filter? or doubled up from the old filter...next will be a new fuel pressure switch...see archives... ACE

acetomatoco

try parking the truck with the nose down... minimizes the drain back if you have a rubber line with porosity... ACE

ultim8gamr

acetomatoco said:
try parking the truck with the nose down... minimizes the drain back if you have a rubber line with porosity... ACE
I had the truck backed up the driveway the whole time I did all the above mentioned, so it was nose downhill. but now its back to nose uphill. if i have problems later tonight or in the morning i will back it up the driveway and let it sit to try what you said.
John

gasser

If it's leaking from the drivers side of the base, in between the base and the filter - chances are that it's the STE fuel pressure switch. Its about the size of a quarter, and there is a rubber o-ring that seals it in.

There was a WO back in the early 90's to get them all replaced, but as the story goes, they didn't get done (or only like 20% of the trucks got them done).

You can get them from Owen Exports (http://www.owens-export.com/) for approx $10 each. I would definitely pick up a few; every CUCV that I owned and drove, I had to replace them.

HTH,

-graham

ultim8gamr

gasser said:
If it's leaking from the drivers side of the base, in between the base and the filter - chances are that it's the STE fuel pressure switch. Its about the size of a quarter, and there is a rubber o-ring that seals it in.

There was a WO back in the early 90's to get them all replaced, but as the story goes, they didn't get done (or only like 20% of the trucks got them done).

You can get them from Owen Exports (http://www.owens-export.com/) for approx $10 each. I would definitely pick up a few; every CUCV that I owned and drove, I had to replace them.

HTH,

-graham
i think i know what you are talking about, as i was wondering what that was. Thanks for the info i will definately check into it.
John

ultim8gamr

I tried parking it in the driveway withth efront of the truck downhill and it only died faster upon startup. I might try and replace all the lines near the filter unit. but that pressure thing that was mentioned may be what i need.
John

gasser

It would not surprise me if it ended up being the STE fuel pressure switch. One time it was had an ever-so-slightly leak and the other truck, it didn't leak at all. But replaced them and the truck would fire right up.

Good luck, and you will want to get a couple. Chances are, with the OD green disease, you will end up with another vehicle!

-graham

ultim8gamr

gasser said:
It would not surprise me if it ended up being the STE fuel pressure switch. One time it was had an ever-so-slightly leak and the other truck, it didn't leak at all. But replaced them and the truck would fire right up.

Good luck, and you will want to get a couple. Chances are, with the OD green disease, you will end up with another vehicle!

-graham
is the fuel pressure switch on the civy units too or just a CUCV thing. it didnt seem to ring any bells at the local Chevy Dealer.
John

gasser

ultim8gamr said:
is the fuel pressure switch on the civy units too or just a CUCV thing. it didnt seem to ring any bells at the local Chevy Dealer.
John
John, it's just a CUCV thing. This switch is purely a diagnostic tool used with the STE/ICE system. Yeah, I don't think the dealer will know about this. Now, in terms of the base - I am not 100% if the civvy base has the same provisions for such an item - I don't think they do.

You can try to take the switch out and put a new O ring around it, but there is a metal clip that holds it in there. Every time I took out the old switch, that metal ring got screwed up so if I wanted to re-use the same switch, I don't think it would hold in there properly.

HTH,

-graham

ultim8gamr

yeah how do you get it out? i remember looking at it and tugging on it not knowing what it was, but it didnt seem to move at all. does it just pull straight forward? I guess if i had to i could go over to the civy model unit and avoid future problems with the pressure switch?
John

rdragoo

I just fixed my fuel pressure switch by eliminating it. It is unique to the military models. I removed the switch and drilled and tapped the original hole with a 1/4 -28 crafstman tap. I then installed a threaded plug in the hole using thread sealer of course. No more leaks..... ever again. No more hard starting from air in the system either.

Randy
Tehachapi, CA

fuel sensor...

i assume this is what you have leaking.cool idea to plug it...something to keep in mind.
In case your wondering,this filter housing is one i pulled of an '86 suburban...seems to exist in the civvy trucks as well.with some luck,a scrap yard might have what your looking for.

Attachments

gasser

RE: fuel sensor...

Ambulancechser, if that is from a civvy model, then it does have a switch - however GM doesn't list a switch, one that goes into the base like the Mil ones ... so i am not understanding this civvy fuel base then.

it's true...

yup...'86 with a 6.2.same truck i got my used hood from.

I remember reading somewhere that on the civilian trucks,the fuel pressure switch would signal a fuel restriction...ie: a plugged filter.seems that the pressure switch and the water sensor were both wired to the WIF light in the cab...thus the WIF light would pull double duty as a water in fuel indication and plugged filter indicator.Can't be certain of this however.if true ,this would be typical GM sillyness...yet another reason to change to a racor setup.

This could be the reason behind a few stories iv'e heard locally of owners getting a wif signal light,draining what they thought was water,and still getting a wif light...they change the filter and the light goes out.Have they drained water,or eliminated a fuel restriction?who knows?

I think i have another filter housing or two laying around...i'll check those and see if the switch is present.just to check if this one isn't an anomally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks