• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauge help

fungusguy

I just purchased this vehicle last week with a broken fuel gauge. The previous owner said that he had replaced both the gauge itself and the sending unit. He said that he determined there must be a broken wire somewhere but couldn’t diagnose where.
I cleaned the ground connections behind the gauge panel and on the left engine head. All of the other gauges read properly. Disconnecting this wire I have indicated in blue does nothing. Swapping the positive wire and the negative with other gauges that are known to work also does nothing/no change.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had this problem on my truck and I literally had to swap the positive wire for the negative wire and the negative wire for the positive wire and voilà my gauge worked

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sending unit needs two things, a complete path (wire) to the gauge and the sending unit must have a good ground, the tank is plastic.

fungusguy

I had this problem on my truck and I literally had to swap the positive wire for the negative wire and the negative wire for the positive wire and voilà my gauge worked
How did you do that exactly? The gauges I have are grounded through their bezel/foundation clip on the rear and if I swap them I think it would send positive to the ground of the other gauges.

Jinx

How did you do that exactly? The gauges I have are grounded through their bezel/foundation clip on the rear and if I swap them I think it would send positive to the ground of the other gauges.
He didn't swap the ground wire. In your diagram, he swapped the red wire with the blue wire.