• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge Question

Lccountryboy89

I have a 1987 M35a2 that I recently purchased and I'm having problems with the fuel gauge. The needle on the gauge is always to the right past full. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to purchase a new fuel gauge or the sending unit that is in the tank?? Are there any quick tests or tricks to know which one I am going to need??

Thank you for the help!!

ke5eua

I have a 1987 M35a2 that I recently purchased and I'm having problems with the fuel gauge. The needle on the gauge is always to the right past full. I'm wondering if I'm going to need to purchase a new fuel gauge or the sending unit that is in the tank?? Are there any quick tests or tricks to know which one I am going to need??

Thank you for the help!!
Add a ground wire from the sending unit to the frame. These trucks are terrible for grounding on the tanks.

Here is how mine are. You only have one tank but same concept.

IMG_1012.jpgIMG_1013.jpg

3dAngus

Or, PM me your address.
I'll pull one off one of my instrument clusters and you can test it to see if there is a difference. You can just send it back when done.

3dAngus

Hey Roger,
So I'm sending out a confirmed good fuel gauge. Please return when done as it completes my Instrument panel.
I agree with those above, you likely have a bad ground somewhere. Make sure you Instrument panel is grounded with an alligator clipped wire if you have it removed when testing. You can just ground it back to chassis, but you should run continuity to make sure it is good. Someone already put a new sending unit on there. They might have made things worse in doing so.
Hope this helps. My return address is in the box.

Attachments

ke5eua

I prefer to never let it get low enough to see the strainer. The tank may hold 50 gallons, but there is less than 40 that is usable on anything but flat ground.
On my trip from San Antonio I filled up both tanks and didn't fill up till I got home. I figured I had about an 1/8 in each tank.