• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauges reading off-scale high and off-scale low

Tbob17

I have 2 Mep-803a generators- one came with the fuel guage reading off-scale low and the other reading off-scale high. Do both readings indicate a fuel gauge failure, or not necessarily? It doesn’t matter whether power is applied to the unit or not, and even after disconnecting all leads and reconnecting, the reading remains the same. I also swapped the gauges between the other units and they indicate the same way-The gauges never moves. Thank you.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you looked at the schematics, to insure that someone did not hook them up right, and you, hooking them up without checking the schematics, repeat the failure? This happens often.

Tbob17

Have you looked at the schematics, to insure that someone did not hook them up right, and you, hooking them up without checking the schematics, repeat the failure? This happens often.
I had found that it was hooked up incorrectly and they had 24 V to the “”sender” post on one of them. So, I wondered if that may have cooked the gauge. I corrected the wiring, but still got the same dead reading on the fuel gauge. On the other generator, the leads were hooked up correctly.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
This procedure is found in TM 9-6115-642-24. Its always a good Idea to download the TM's and read the troubleshooting process. Also the maintenance procedures for inspecting,Testing and replacing items in the set. The link to the TM's is:

Open left side engine access door and disconnect negative battery cable.

Release control panel by turning two fasteners and lower control panel slowly.

Isolate generator set VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer by disconnecting wire 156A at terminal 1 and wire 157B
at terminal 2 of AC voltage regulator.

Set multimeter for ohms and connect between terminals L and R of generator set VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer.

Adjust potentiometer until multimeter indicates 216 to 264 ohms resistance.

Remove multimeter, but do not disturb potentiometer adjustment.

Disconnect and isolate electrical lead from terminal S of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect jumper wire between disconnected wire 156A and terminal S of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect jumper wire between disconnected wire 157B and terminal G of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect negative battery cable and move generator set MASTER SWITCH to PRIME & RUN position.

FUEL LEVEL indicator should indicate EMPTY (± 1/8 inch).

Move MASTER SWITCH to OFF position and disconnect negative battery cable.

Repeat steps e thru g, setting potentiometer between 29.7 and 36.3 ohms.

Connect negative battery cable and move MASTER SWITCH to PRIME& RUN position.

FUEL LEVEL indicator should indicate FULL (± 1/8 inch).

Replace FUEL LEVEL indicator if it fails to function properly.

Remove jumper wires and connect electrical leads to AC voltage regulator and FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Raise and secure control panel.

Connect negative battery cable and close access door.

Tbob17

This procedure is found in TM 9-6115-642-24. Its always a good Idea to download the TM's and read the troubleshooting process. Also the maintenance procedures for inspecting,Testing and replacing items in the set. The link to the TM's is:

Open left side engine access door and disconnect negative battery cable.

Release control panel by turning two fasteners and lower control panel slowly.

Isolate generator set VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer by disconnecting wire 156A at terminal 1 and wire 157B
at terminal 2 of AC voltage regulator.

Set multimeter for ohms and connect between terminals L and R of generator set VOLTAGE adjust potentiometer.

Adjust potentiometer until multimeter indicates 216 to 264 ohms resistance.

Remove multimeter, but do not disturb potentiometer adjustment.

Disconnect and isolate electrical lead from terminal S of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect jumper wire between disconnected wire 156A and terminal S of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect jumper wire between disconnected wire 157B and terminal G of FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Connect negative battery cable and move generator set MASTER SWITCH to PRIME & RUN position.

FUEL LEVEL indicator should indicate EMPTY (± 1/8 inch).

Repeat steps e thru g, setting potentiometer between 29.7 and 36.3 ohms.

Connect negative battery cable and move MASTER SWITCH to PRIME& RUN position.

FUEL LEVEL indicator should indicate FULL (± 1/8 inch).

Replace FUEL LEVEL indicator if it fails to function properly.

Remove jumper wires and connect electrical leads to AC voltage regulator and FUEL LEVEL indicator.

Raise and secure control panel.

Connect negative battery cable and close access door.
Thanks for all the information. I’ll dive in further. I’m new to this site so I’m still navigating my way around.