• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injection and turbo on Dodge 230

grog21771

Hi all, I have a question, I have a 51 and I like the 230 that is in it. Right now it is at the machine getting a rebuilt done with a few improvements. But what I was wondering if anyone has every went as far as going to fuel injection and a turbo to really boost the power? Would really like some input and some direction if you have done it. Also looking for a performance type of intake so I can make it happen. Thanks

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One point to take into consideration is which motor you have. I have a Canadian M37 that has the 251CI motor in it. The American trucks had a 230CI motor in them. According to Vintage Power Wagons the 251 motor will take higher RPM and cylinder pressures than the 230. This is because the rod big ends in the 230 are not centered under the rod beam. The big ends in the 251 are centered, therefore the forces of the power stroke are more evenly distributed to the crank with the centered big ends. Under heavy loading you might get rod flexing with the 230 because of the off-center big ends. That is not a good situation for longevity! You can look at the rods in the rebuild shop to see if the big ends are offset. While you are at it, why not balance it? Also, ARP head bolts studs would be highly recommended. You might want to shave the head a bit; these were built for really low octane fuels. To really have fun, send your cam to Crower for a re-grind to make it a bit more peppy. There are new and vintage aftermarket intakes for multiple carbs and dual exhaust kits available also. This can be an interesting project! How many more like it would you expect to see? 0?

mdainsd

^^^ This and the flat head Dodge family are "long rod" engines. They do not like higher RPMs. Confounding the issue, they are four main bearing engines, again frustrating RPMs.

Yes, you "could" make it breathe better by some mild porting and force feeding it. But in the long run that dog wont hunt. HP is torque times RPM, Since this engine is torque limited by its small displacement the only way to get good horsepower would be to spin it real fast and as mentioned that is a non starter. You might get one to 100HP but life expectancy would go down and you would still have an underpowered truck.

The engine is a mid 1930's passenger car engine.

All that said, Ive owned a bunch of them and I really like them, you just have to accept them, limitations and all.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The very first thing I would consider is the engine you looking to do this to, its a 230 CI L head engine designed WHEN? In my opinion if you looking to build some power this would be one of the last engines I would consider for a big pile of reasons! ITS an incredibly OLD design, run as they are meant to and used within those parameters they do very well. Your chances of destroying this engine are definitely THERE!! This engine was NEVER ever designed to be modified to get larger increases in HP, I think because of the valve configurations it would take a heck of a lot of work to even start getting and engine ready to do this then your just going to destroy it. Bad Idea!
Pull the 230 out of your truck and find for one thing and engine that was built in the last 25 years, it would be a world apart for modding from the 230, when you destroy the new engine who cares just go buy another one. Destroy junk but keep the good stuff GOOD!!

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M37 is a fine truck as it is - something of a usable antique. Its HP output matches the rest of the drive train. As it is, its not hard to break axles. Increase the HP & you will just fined the next weak spot in a row. I have had mine for over 50 years. Be sure to put new valve guides, & the valve springs turned the right way. Balancing it wouldn't hurt it, but watch the RPMs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks