• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Injection for gasoline engines

GopherHill

With the appearance of plug and play F.I. kits, has anyone thought about fuel injection for a Reo or Continental 6602? Could be a winner with the gasoline to be had these days. Maybe 8 mpg from a

GopherHill

I don't think a think a t.b.i. unit would flow enough air but they were on some large v8 s. I have always been impressed by the power the 6602 engine has since i watched two 5 ton tractors move houses. They did the job at just above idle!

V8srfun

Being that you would have to build your own kit it would probably not be cost effective. Most of the plug and play stuff is designed for common engine swaps like the all so common gm ls series engine. And when you buy a Holley kit for the ls it has built in logic just for that platform so you set target values and it will (tune) on its own. With a situation like the Reo or Conti engine you would be using something like a megasquirt system which is basically a kit and you build the whole thing including the circuit board. This is possible but much more complicated than most would want to tackle. Then you would have to find ways to attach all of the required sensors for the computer to have proper inputs to calculate fuel and spark delivery. And you would have to get your intake manifold machined to accept injectors. (There is not a large enough single injector available to use a tbi system) you would have to go to port injection. Then when you get the kit completed and installed you need to have properly sized injectors if you get them to big you will struggle to tune the idle and low rpm drivability and if they are to small you will have starvation issues under high load and high rpm. But let’s say you get all of this done you still need to get the system tuned and this in my opinion is far to complicated (considering the risks involved) to handle on your own. If you get the fueling and timing wrong you will destroy your engine in a heartbeat. Winch leaves you to paying a professional tuner and this will be expensive because they charge by the hour and will have to spend many more hours on it than the engines he is familiar with and already knows base line values for them.

long story short it will cost you more time effort and money than it is worth. But it can be done with enough persistence and a deep pocket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks