• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel issues with deuce, won't start

NITEFARMER

Ok guys - here's an update but still need your advice. So, I decided to bypass the booster/HP pump. With throttle wide open, it would try to fire just a little better than before. So, I tried at half throttle and barely hits. So, against my will, at half throttle I gave it just a tickle of ether. She fired right away but started to stumble so I gave another tickle and this time she kept running! Whoo hoo!!! Ran perfect, not even a slight miss. So, I let her run there about a minute, then tried to let her down to idle. She died at around 800 and would not restart on her own. So I repeated half throttle and ether, and she took right off. Let her run a little, then tried to goose her, very slow response(always very quick response before troubles) but would come up. So, I let it run a while, and then shut it off, not knowing if I could cause any damage to the HP pump? Also, I noticed that the top radiator hose was pretty hot for that short of a run and the bottom was still cold, not sure what's going on here? So, need advice on what's going on with the HP pump and I'm assuming the low pressure is what's causing it to not start and not idle?

mmeridith

Ok guys - here's an update but still need your advice. So, I decided to bypass the booster/HP pump. With throttle wide open, it would try to fire just a little better than before. So, I tried at half throttle and barely hits. So, against my will, at half throttle I gave it just a tickle of ether. She fired right away but started to stumble so I gave another tickle and this time she kept running! Whoo hoo!!! Ran perfect, not even a slight miss. So, I let her run there about a minute, then tried to let her down to idle. She died at around 800 and would not restart on her own. So I repeated half throttle and ether, and she took right off. Let her run a little, then tried to goose her, very slow response(always very quick response before troubles) but would come up. So, I let it run a while, and then shut it off, not knowing if I could cause any damage to the HP pump? Also, I noticed that the top radiator hose was pretty hot for that short of a run and the bottom was still cold, not sure what's going on here? So, need advice on what's going on with the HP pump and I'm assuming the low pressure is what's causing it to not start and not idle?
Nitefarmer, this is the exact scenario I had last month with mine. Driving home one day she would stall out as I slowed down for traffic & lights. Throttle down & a shot of ether she'd start and run @ 1800 rpms & higher, very sluggish throttle response. When I let off the throttle to try & idle she would stutter & die. I had no issues with the booster pump on the IP - great fuel flow, my problem was the scored shaft in the head allowing fuel to leak past and not pressurize the injectors.

Good luck on your troubleshooting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd say take the hyd head off and inspect it, it sounds suspect. The rad works like that, hot comes out of the motor at the top and cool comes in the motor at the bottom.

rustystud

008.jpg011.jpg

Before you tear into the injection pump, how is the fuel pressure coming out of the booster pump ? There should be a very strong stream coming out. If not then remove the side plug and clean out the check valve. You could have had some garbage get into the pump.

Last edited:

NITEFARMER

Thanks again guys! Y'all are great, keep the ideas coming! Mmeridith - Definitely sounds like the same problem. I did check everything in the HH, and it looked good, no scor marks, but I guess its possible that's it's just too loose. Rustystud - Thank You for the pic! It's worth a thousand words, as they say!! This is exactly the kind of ideas I'm looking for. No, I do not have a good stream coming out of the booster pump, so hopefully you hit the nail on the head. I will try this tonite. Floridianson - Any chance you have a pic of the delivery valve? I would like to check it as well, just not sure what it is.
Thanks again to everybody!! Hopefully someday I will know enough to be able to help others the way you guys are helping me!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks