• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Jelling Problems / Questions

Mark2X2

Crane Truck,
It uses the hot coolant off the engine, there is a heat exchanger in the tank the water passes through. Try not to show much interest in the trucking end of the business, they might make me drive the damn thing. Have enough to do, he leaves the shop at 4am and dose not get back until 4-6pm.

Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mark, I have come to the conclusion that electric heating is easier to control and will not rob heat from the engine at a critical time, eliminating valves and cumbersome plumbing and without risking a coolant leak into the fuel, so assumed that they had advanced somewhat....
Appreciate the info.

dabtl

I was startled to see this thread at the top of the list this morning. We are experiencing the first signs of Fall here and the afternoon temps have cooled to the mid 90's. A great relief from the 102+ highs of last month.

I first thought that something must be happening to diesel fuel that I had not heard about.

I am greatly relaxed now knowing that I will never have to worry about diesel jelling here.
:-D

Carl_in_NH

Up north where the weather is cold in the winter, we start splitting next winter's firewood in the spring and talk about fuel jelling while sitting in the shade on a 92 degree day in August.

There's no time to enjoy the warm weather - just time to plan and get ready for the upcoming cold season.

SasquatchSanta

This is a little late since it's August. We work in northern WI, not as cold as northern MN but we have our moments. In our woods equipment, we run straight #1 from deer hunting season in November until break up in March. We don't have any gelling problems. There is nothing more miserable than a jelled up machine. If you look at the cost difference between #1 & #2 (#1 is more money by 5-10 cents) and a the cost of additives, filters, down time, the frustration, cold hands, fuel on your cloths and overall bad day. #1 IS WORTH IT! If you have a full tank of #1 in the summer and our worried that its to thin, dump a couple ounces of ATF in the tank. I fill the fuel filters with ATF on the 653E when I change them. Gives the pump a good lube & cleans the injectors. We also dump a quart per 500 gallons in the fuel barrel.
Our semi is a Mack, it has fuel tank heaters. We use the winter blend fuel and have very little trouble with it.
Works for us.
Mark
Since my original problem in March of 08 I've also came to the same conclusion. If you run Nr-1 there isn't any worries. Because of it's lack of lubricity I dose the Nr-1 a little heavier than normal with Marvel Mystery Oil. I'm through carrying the white bottles and the emergency red bottle of 911 --- just run Nr-1 and forget about it.

jatonka

Hey, It's nice to see Sasquatch and 2027 Deuce on here together, like the old days. Ernie, PM me if you wanna try a spin on Primary adaptor set up for Rosie. Scott, we are on for 2012, get ready. JT out

SasquatchSanta

Hey, It's nice to see Sasquatch and 2027 Deuce on here together, like the old days. Ernie, PM me if you wanna try a spin on Primary adaptor set up for Rosie. Scott, we are on for 2012, get ready. JT out
Hello JT,

Thank you --- With the economy the way it is I've came to the conclusion that now isn't the time to be shaking up my life when it requires selling real estate and rolling stock. Business is so bad that even the people that don't intend to pay aren't buying so now isn't the time to be selling. :-D

You mentioned "Deuce 2027" on your post. What does "2027" signify?

You probably missed the post I made several months ago when I installed the LDS engine in Rosie but at that time I also installed a spin-on primary fuel filter assembly. It came from Car Quest and before it was installed I was wishing I'd called you instead. The Car Quest assembly was plumbed a$$-backwards and required a lot if brass fittings and grief to get it to work. Someday I'll learn :wink:

In looking back the same holds true for the pre-lub pump. Now that it's installed it's a nice feature but considering the cost and hastle in properly installing the pre-lube system I'd been better off with your quick pressure/quick install spin-on oil filter assemblies. like I said, I'm learning.