• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak after o-ring job

m816Buch

Anyone ever had to file the collars that hold the hydraulic head housing....mine were worn and I guess were not crushing the O-rings enough so I had a high rpm leak

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I don’t understand the thought process.

There is no place for them to wear, to wear out. 5he fact that you had to file them indicates they were not worn out. Where did the O-rings come from? How do you know they were the right size?gs

welldigger

Ya I'm a little confused here.

If you file the collars thinner then they will crush the o rings even less making a leak worse.

If you believe your getting fuel contamination in your engine oil only after driving it hard you should pressure test the booster pump.

Last edited:

rustystud

I'm going to stand by my statement, until someone makes me look stupid.
I agree with you Garrett. Having worked on many injection pumps I have never come across a part that "needed" filing. I've come across parts that needed "replacing" but never filing. Considering that most injection parts will not fit if you just hold them in your hand (the heat) then filing them by hand would be an extreme NO NO ! When you consider some of the newer "ISL" pumps must have the fuel filtered down to 2 microns or pump damage will occur then there is no room for that kind of heavy handed maintenance.

m816Buch

I'm going to stand by my statement, until someone makes me look stupid.
the collars are stepped .... filed the bottom of the hold down collars not the step to make the collars have more of a gap at the bottom...that way it shortens the step where they hit the housing.....the step part was worn like the housing was vibrating making it wear the step down

m816Buch

hey rusty.....didn't file on pump but filed the bottoms of the attachment collars to make them pull down a tad bit farther on the housing.....replaced the O-rings a couple of months ago when it developed a gusher
replaced them again today as I was checking to make sure I maybe had pinched the top o-ring....o-rings looked fine but I had noticed on disassembly that the collars where shinny and a noticeable wear pattern was on them where they hit the head....so I filed the bottom, not the step to make them pull down tighter
I figured that the pump may have been vibrating and this was my problem to start with

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

Ok, that's fine, BUT, there should not be any wear on those unless they were loose before. Nothing there should move at all, unless the hold down nuts were left loose at some point. If they were loose, that may have explained the initial leak.

Yes the pump vibrates, but when the hydraulic head is tightly clamped down it can't move to cause any wear.