• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak after spin on fuel filter kit install

yolner

I bought the kit from westfolk on ebay. The primary and the oil filter kits worked great, but after installing the secondary kit I developed a leak. The odd part is that it appears to be leaking from the elbow fitting not the new compression fittings that came with the kit. I circled the leak area in pictures below.

I'm thinking that the correct course of action is to take the compression fitting off, take the elbow off, and reinstall with teflon tape?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel rated, not white teflon tape.

If it's brass, it should not need any sealant.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, too , installed both of westfolk's kits. No leaks, but I am not sure how some people could, according to them, install the kits in 20 minutes. It took me a good while, especially the secondary filter.
I like the kits, the clear video instructions and so far, so good!

yolner

The primary was pretty quick, but definitely not 20 mins. The secondary took a while. I had to take the heater out so it definitely wasn't a quick job like the oil kit. My truck also has metric bolts in several spots so that slowed me down some too.

I just don't get why a fitting would start leaking when i didn't loosen it :/

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere I have video of my 14 year old installing mine. Didn't take him long at all.

3rdmdqm

I also installed the secondary kit from Westfolk. Mine developed leaks around the fittings on the filter housing itself causing fuel to pool on top of the filter and drip down. I had to take everything apart and tighten them up quite a bit. Now ll seems to be good. I'm quite happy with the set up. Went from two filters to one.

3rdmdqm

Fuel rated, not white teflon tape.

If it's brass, it should not need any sealant.
Might be part of my problem. I think I used whatever white teflon tape I had lying around which was for regular plumbing. Hmmm, how long ya think before leak starts again? I could tell previous leak because the bright white teflon turned a dull cream color where the leak was and the fittings were not very tight. I tightened everything up and so far the tape is till bright white. Keeping my fingers crossed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks