• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Leak at Hydraulic Head Help

shenkmen

Hi there,

I have fuel leaking from the hydraulic head. I cleaned and blew everything but still can't quite tell where it is coming from but I have a guess. The metal shoulder below the nut on the #1 line is loose to the touch. The nut is tight and I haven't messed with it. See attached image. The screwdriver is gently leaning on it to show what I'm talking about.

Questions...

1. What is the name of what I am calling the "metal shoulder"?
  2. Could this be causing the leak?
  3. Can I loosen and reseat this or should I just replace the line?
Another solution?

Thanks much and thanks for the 2,459 articles I've read on SS.

Cheers

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try lossening, cleaning and reseating.

I think what you are refering to as a shoulder, is the part that a bubber boot fits on to protect and "seal" off the line fitting. The boot is not needed. It is just an extra layer of protection.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Try lossening, cleaning and reseating.
I think what you are refering to as a shoulder, is the part that a bubber boot fits on to protect and "seal" off the line fitting. The boot is not needed. It is just an extra layer of protection.
I agree with DH[thumbzup]

Besides, those bubber boots can only be found in Alibammer and are rare as...er...well...teef!!:eek:roflrofl

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops!

Should have used spell check!

I was eating my lunch. Surf and Turf. Rare roast beef sandwich with horseradish and some calamari. Yum.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
When you loosen and re-seat it, try slightly wiggling the injector line when you re-tighten it. As stated, that part you are pointing to is not important and would not cause your leak. There is a compression fitting on the end of the injector line way down in the HH under that nut. That is what would be leaking. I have heard of one member cutting that fitting off and putting on another with good results. Let me know if I need to find that thread for you.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
70ft/lbs sounds kinda high. is that what the TM calls for?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, since I know you have taken that plug out at least or 5 times in the last 2 months, I'll just search your threads. You must have looked it up yourself, then posted about your experience(how else would you get over 10000 posts?) Oh yeah, welcome to SS, nice truck, I love pink trucks, bla bla bla...:evil:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Real men don't need instructions! I have a finely tuned wrench and have not had that plug leak when I put it back in. Good luck with your "search-foo".

shenkmen

Uh oh... Elvis VS the pink 'Burban. I'm sorry to have caused this trouble.:)

Tomorrow I'm going to remove the HH line ID plate then start her up so I can truly see where the fuel is coming from.

I believe I previously saw it should be 65 - 70 FT LBS so 70 sounds good to me.

Hey Gimp and GH, I assume I should loosen then then torqu. Correct?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got your search foo...

I found this with an advanced search for "hydraulic head torque" in the deuce forum. It was posted by Bjorn, I would bet it's correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser2help
My pump appears to be good but that **** center plunger bolt in the middle weeps fuel. This is the bolt in the IP head that is in the middle of all the injector lines.****!

1) Clean top of hydraulic head.
2) Clean top of hydraulic head.
3) Remove plunger bore screw.
4) Wipe surfaces clean.
5) Re-install and torque to 50 to 55 ft-lb.

It only took me about 5 minutes to find it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a finely tuned wrench
What were you doing when I called you today(and didn't answer)? "calibrating your hand"?

shenkmen

Cleaning, removing and torquing the center bolt to 52 ft lbs stopped the leak. My fuel pump was loose too so I tightened up the two 7/16 bolts on the front.

Thanks!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news! Thank you for the AAR(follow up).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks