• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leakage/drainage issue from 6.2l filter system

strelnik

Steel soldiers and their allies,

I own a 1986 and a 1993 USAF van with 6.2 L engines in them. I drive the 1986 less often and may sell soon, but not before I solve a problem.

The vehicle has extremely hard starting if it sits a week or so. If I start it daily, it's like summer. It has good flters and glow plugs and a strong battery.

I read somewhere that the military filter base has an O-ring that degrades over time and causes the leak down.

I saw a photo of this on the Net, but the photo was so bad and dark I could not identify the location of the fuel base.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? Anyone got photos, etc?

I would rather not mod the fuel system, especially before I sell it, if I do.

Thanks,

S

strelnik

steel soldiers and their allies,

i own a 1986 and a 1993 usaf van with 6.2 l engines in them. I drive the 1986 less often and may sell soon, but not before i solve a problem.

The vehicle has extremely hard starting if it sits a week or so. If i start it daily, it's like summer. It has good flters and glow plugs and a strong battery.

I read somewhere that the military filter base has an o-ring that degrades over time and causes the leak down.

I saw a photo of this on the net, but the photo was so bad and dark i could not identify the location of the fuel base.

Does anyone know what i am talking about? Anyone got photos, etc?

I would rather not mod the fuel system, especially before i sell it, if i do.

Thanks,

s
bump

TedG

I believe the hmmwv fuel filtration system is specific to only hmmwv's. Good luck in you quest...

CUCVLOVER

hello.
Seeing as I don't have a hmmv or have ever worked on one I can not say that this information is the best there is.
So let me see if I can help. You have a 6.2 NA engine from a hmmv in a van correct? What type of filter are you using? Is it a spin on or the old box type that came on cucv's ? The box type is on the left it is the one that has a pressure sensor that is known to leak air into the system when the seals fail. The one on the right is my spin on mod I did to my cucv with a 6.2 engine because I was having the same problem as you. What I did to determine the air leak was in my filer housing is I got a small inline clear filter that I hooked up in place of the factory unit this told me the air was getting in there.

A few pictures of your engine, fuel system ect.. would be a great help.

I hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

gcbennet

Fuel Filter.jpgThe fuel filter on the humvee is an element contained within an aluminum housing mounted on the LH engine firewall. When you buy a new filter element it comes with a new O-ring. Leakage can happen either at the O-ring itself, or at one of the hoses.

papakb

Last April I changed out the batteries in my HMMWV and afterwards the truck got very hard to get going after sitting for a few days. After the first start it was fine again. I went thru all the electricals and checked the glow plugs and am now at a point where I suspect that I'm having this same problem with the fuel siphoning back into the tank. I originally suspected that the petcock on the filter was bad but this post makes sense to me. I changed the filter out when I got the truck but haven't changed it since. Sounds like a good project for this afternoon. I'll post the results.

Kurt

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the above, as well as injector drain back hoses...there can be no air in the system or you will have issues.
I had a trauck that had a finger loose drain hose connection...no fluid leak, but truck had rough idle issues, tightened clamp, fixed problem.

strelnik

hello.
Seeing as I don't have a hmmv or have ever worked on one I can not say that this information is the best there is.
So let me see if I can help. You have a 6.2 NA engine from a hmmv in a van correct? What type of filter are you using? Is it a spin on or the old box type that came on cucv's ? The box type is on the left it is the one that has a pressure sensor that is known to leak air into the system when the seals fail. The one on the right is my spin on mod I did to my cucv with a 6.2 engine because I was having the same problem as you. What I did to determine the air leak was in my filer housing is I got a small inline clear filter that I hooked up in place of the factory unit this told me the air was getting in there.

A few pictures of your engine, fuel system ect.. would be a great help.

I hope this helps
Thanks for your very helpful post.
Following back therapy, I can now work on this again.
Can you tell me the name of the adapter that you used and part number/size of the fuel filter?

Thanks!