• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Lift Pump 1986 M1009

donalloy1

Fellow SS'ers, my OEM Fuel Lift Pump has decided to call it quits!

Have searched high and low for readily available part # with no luck. Need your help.

Seems like most are dumping and going Electric Lift. I understand this may be better than OEM but I want to keep original.

Found a couple on that E**Y place. Not sure if they will cut it?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated as always, DMLII sends...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you check the parts TM? It will have the GM number which can easily be crossed at a quality parts house.

donalloy1

Have been down that road and no such luck. Oreily and others do not have the Delphi HFP906 that it calls for? Told me to go to GM.

Noticed in previous Threads that the Napa Pump will not work?:shock:

85CUCVtom

I recently replaced mine. I noticed diesel was leaking in the driveway and went under the truck to investigate and sure enough it was leaking from the lift pump. Being a Sunday nothing but Advance Auto and Auto Zone were open so I took my luck with Auto Zone. 2000 miles later, it works fine and I haven't had any problems.

Fuel Pump | 1986 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD 8 Cylinders C 6.2L Diesel | AutoZone.com

It comes with the gasket for between the pump and mounting plate. I would pick up the gasket for between the mounting plate and block. Your gonna have to take the plate off to get the push rod all the way up into the motor. Your probably going to have to turn the motor over my hand until it goes in all the way, as the push rod rides on the cam shaft. When you remove the pump, take the push rod out an cover it in petroleum jelly to help hold it all the way up in the block. Reinstall the plate, then the pump, then both lines, bleed out the system and drive away.

Good Luck!

donalloy1

I recently replaced mine. I noticed diesel was leaking in the driveway and went under the truck to investigate and sure enough it was leaking from the lift pump. Being a Sunday nothing but Advance Auto and Auto Zone were open so I took my luck with Auto Zone. 2000 miles later, it works fine and I haven't had any problems.

Fuel Pump | 1986 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD 8 Cylinders C 6.2L Diesel | AutoZone.com

It comes with the gasket for between the pump and mounting plate. I would pick up the gasket for between the mounting plate and block. Your gonna have to take the plate off to get the push rod all the way up into the motor. Your probably going to have to turn the motor over my hand until it goes in all the way, as the push rod rides on the cam shaft. When you remove the pump, take the push rod out an cover it in petroleum jelly to help hold it all the way up in the block. Reinstall the plate, then the pump, then both lines, bleed out the system and drive away.

Good Luck!
85CUCVtom, thats exactly what I was looking for! A been there done that. Will slam one this week. Just hate to do trial and error. New someone had paved the way for others here.:beer: DMLII sends respectfully...

85CUCVtom

No problem. Glad I could help. PM me if you need any advice. That's definitely a 6-pack job so pick one up on the way home from the parts store. :beer:

combatmech

I checked the TM and in 60 seconds came up with part number 6471831. Another 60 seconds on Google and came up with AC-Delco PN 43-254. Lots of those available out there. My research also led me to this link here on Steel Soldiers.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/75356-leaky-fuel-pump.html

Only took a few minutes and I fed myself.
:ditto:
When my pump died, TM's and Google found it.
And as you noticed within the link, Doghead reminded me to help others and post part numbers / prices / and where I got it so others could find it using the search feature.
99.9% of the P/N's in the TM's will come up in Google. Someone out there will have the parts any CUCV owner is looking for. Just sayn....
Thanks for posting Kenny :beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to add one more little blurb here. While this site is a great resource, it may not always be available at a seconds notice. I would hate for our members to become so dependent on the instant info here that they couldn't find what they need through alternate sources. Believe it or not, the site has been down for extended periods of time in the past. Don't depend on the TMs stored here, copy them to your own hard drive so that they are available without the interweb. Scan online auction sites and collect a few basic paper manuals as well, they are cheap and good insurance. Just trying to think ahead for other members.

85CUCVtom

:ditto:
When my pump died, TM's and Google found it.
And as you noticed within the link, Doghead reminded me to help others and post part numbers / prices / and where I got it so others could find it using the search feature.
99.9% of the P/N's in the TM's will come up in Google. Someone out there will have the parts any CUCV owner is looking for. Just sayn....
Thanks for posting Kenny :beer:
That's very true. If I don't want to go to the TM's for a part number usually a Google search brings it up in the first hit.

Cucvnut

Its easy if you take off the passenger alt i found it easier to install that way than from underneath the cucv. also use some engine assembly lube up hold the push rod in the block.

85CUCVtom

Make sure you get an AC-Delco pump. The Carter pumps are absolute #^*%. Failed within a year, stay away from their garbage.
I can second that. I would have used an ACDelco one on mine but it failed at like 2pm on a Sunday and I needed it for work in the morning. So I took what I could get.

donalloy1

I checked the TM and in 60 seconds came up with part number 6471831. Another 60 seconds on Google and came up with AC-Delco PN 43-254. Lots of those available out there. My research also led me to this link here on Steel Soldiers.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/75356-leaky-fuel-pump.html

Only took a few minutes and I fed myself.
Recovery4x4, I understand that I need to become more self sufficient. Will apply your step by step on next application. Something tells me that this old Jarhead will never be able to accomplish in 60 seconds though! lucky to make this site in 60 seconds....

Onestar

Napa pump

Have been down that road and no such luck. Oreily and others do not have the Delphi HFP906 that it calls for? Told me to go to GM.

Noticed in previous Threads that the Napa Pump will not work?:shock:
For what its worth I'm using the napa pump, my 1009 seems to be a bit quieter and gets a little better mileage. I'll see if I can find the part number, but if your in a rush the person at the counter should be able to look it up when you tell them it's a 6.2 diesel.

donalloy1

For what its worth I'm using the napa pump, my 1009 seems to be a bit quieter and gets a little better mileage. I'll see if I can find the part number, but if your in a rush the person at the counter should be able to look it up when you tell them it's a 6.2 diesel.
Onestar, somebody said elsewhere that the napa pump was sucky? They have been really good to me with O9? If you can dig up number that would be great. Will call my local guy tomorrow and see if he can nail it down?

ranger1950

Replaced my pump with AC Delco 43-254. Noticed my pump pressure went from 7 to 9 psi. Is this pressure ok for the injector pump? Old pump looked like original, thought I better replace it due to age.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks