• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Line help

Maxwell1815

Hey, I am finally finding time to put my deuce back together after "Major Meltdown" and I cannot figure out where the main fuel lines go, one off of the primary filter I believe screws on to the bottom of the injection pump, and there is one that comes off of the drivers side frame rail that I can't remember where it goes, nor can I find a spot. It it a return? Will take pics tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Thanks,
Jordan Sommerfeld

sharkhunter2018

There is a fuel hose up front, which is the one that runs from the primary to the IP. As for the other hose, I believe that is a return line. There is a point on the secondary filters where it screws on and runs to the line along the drivers side frame from there. Sort of hard to explain since I can't remember where exactly the hook up point is on the secondaries. I had to replace that hose on one of my trucks last year. What a pain that was to find.

Hope that helps.

sharkhunter2018

Hmm, can't help ya there, bud. Still pretty new to this. Dig through the TMs and do a search...probably something in those to give you a starting point at least.

I will say though to make sure that return line hose isn't making contact with the frame on the driver side. When mine had developed the leak, it appeared to have been rubbing on the frame, so I suspect that was the reason for the failure. Man, what a pain that was to find a suitable replacement. I found it rather frustrating that you can buy the IP hose all day long but not the return line.

KaiserM109

yep! you were right! got her back together, now i just need to get her running...no fuel out of the IP...
I would guess that you have a bad in-tank pump. I ran mine for a while without knowing it was dead because under ideal conditions the IP can suck the fuel out of the tank, but not if there is any air in either the lines or the filters.

A new in-tank pump runs over $200 (lots of threads) but you can get an in-line pump for around $75 and put it somewhere near the tank. That’s what I did, but I intend to put in a new in-tank pump. I don’t suggest that you buy a pull-out in-tank pump ‘cause you can’t tell what ya got ‘til it quits.

Maxwell1815

Yea, it does seem like my in tank pump is weak, it will push fuel out of the bleeder on the secondary filters but shouldn't it push fuel up to the injectors also? I have a line cracked and nothing will come out. I did get it to fire tonight though, i had 3 injector lines cracked and cranked her over and she fired and ran out of control over-revving...I was able to pull the fuel cutoff soon enough but I am still shaking from the adrenaline rush.... and to top it all off, it won't fire again now... Gonna look into that lift pump though. Thanks for all of your input!

gungearz

Check to see if your batteries are putting out the right volts to push that pump. Then check to see if the same volts are at the pump side with no voltage drop. If so, then a wire is kinked and wearing out the batteries. If not, it could be the pump or somewhere else down the line also.

Maxwell1815

I will do! Thanks! I have a feeling I have burned her up almost...back when the engine ventilated, the cause was me leaving the accy switch on for 2 days, only to come back to the truck and me thinking the batteries were just dead, I charged them up, and cranked her over...To the avail of fuel spraying out of the stack, and 2 days later a rod flying through the block because of the hydro-lock situation....my own stupidity.... so based on that, I wouldn't be surprised if, in doing so, the pump burned up/weakened from that excessive pumping...

ryan77

There's in tank fuel pumps on a certain auction site for $50.00!! Islandguydon bought one from there i believe!!!

gungearz

That was a sad thing to do to that poor old pump.... I hope for as cheap as we can pick up the pumps for, is the only problem with the truck. Hope its not the IP. That does not look like a fun thing to rebuild.

Maxwell1815

A new in-tank pump runs over $200 (lots of threads) but you can get an in-line pump for around $75 and put it somewhere near the tank. That’s what I did, but I intend to put in a new in-tank pump. I don’t suggest that you buy a pull-out in-tank pump ‘cause you can’t tell what ya got ‘til it quits.
what kind of pump did you use? Can you post a pic or 2 of the setup?