• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Line Return Check Valve issues

Chris Wilkinson

Been out for a while had my M923A2 1990 stored finally pulled her out changed out fuel filter and could not get the fuel pump primed. I had to have a mobile diesel Mech run by and it took us over an hour to get her primed then she started right up. He told I need a new Air dyer Yep new that but then he told me why i had issue priming the pump because my bajo bolt failed. He told me Cummins refers to it as a Fuel Return Line Check valve (has a little ball to check fuel return). When it fails the pump loses prime. Not a Diesel guy but working my way through getting her running. Any help with part numbers or part store that can help waiting on Cummins to respond

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you referring to the banjo bolt on the outside of the pump closest to the front of the engine with a line running down the side of the engine and back to the tank? If so that is an overflow valve to keep the fuel pressure in the PT pump at a constant pressure. Like you said, the little ball leaks from it beating up its sealing seat and/or the springs looses its tension. Either way, pump may bleed down losing prime. Best way to check is to use a pair of vice grips to close off the line below the overflow valve and try to start your truck. If it starts, that's probably your culprit. I learned that from the folks here.

As for replacement, there is a company called Tork Tek that sells adjustable pressure valves that are "better" than Cummins. https://www.torkteknology.com/adjustable-overflow-valves/. Maybe someone here has a better idea but I've heard on the board a bad overflow valve can have the hard start conditions you mention. But I also reckon when a truck sits for a long time, there is a good possibility air will get into your system and it can/will be hard to get rid of sometimes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks