• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel line routing

tiger422

Just got my M35A2 , Looks like fuel line coming from primary filter is going to inj. pump on motor side. I would think it should be going to secondary filters first ay help on routing would be great.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It goes to the booster pump on the IP, then to the secondary and finals, then back to the density compensator and finally the IP head.

tiger422

thanks
I found a crushed fuel line under front cross member. It my be getting 1/2 fuel flow I will be rplacing it soon.
the fuel lines look like they have been pached up I will replace all in question.
What size line should be on it from tank to IP?
Picked up my truck last Fri. from Camp Blanding 35 to 40 MPH all the way home no power up hill 2nd gear at best any help?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the damaged lines and do a filter change first, re test drive and report back.

tiger422

RE: PIC

I changed fuel lne and fuel filters, drove to work today still low power
Talked to truck mechanic at work he says it is starving for fuel IP is not giving enough fuel no somk at all.

54reo

I was going to do a write-up on this someday, but I never got around to it.

When I bought my '68 deuce, "C" turbo, it would barely get into second gear (not enough power). I managed to get into third once, going downhill. So, I did the basics. Read the manuals, searched and read all I could find on this site, and chatted on the chat rooms on occasion.

Changed all three filters, took the in-tank pump assembly out of the tank to check the condition of the intake screen, and carefully went over the entire length of fuel line from the tank to the IP. After all of this, it was still the same. Well, I did notice a small improvement, but it would not get above 20mph.

So, I purchased a pyro, researched all about them right here on SS, and decided to mount it pre-turbo. Removed the turbo (literally a 10 minute ordeal), drilled and tapped two holes in the manifold (one on either side of the divider) and plugged one.

I then cut the safety wires through the bolts retaining the cover over the fuel adjustment screw, and removed the cover. AH.... now I found it! The fuel rate adjustment screw has two nuts (jamb nut arrangement), both of which were loose! The nuts must have slowly backed off over time to the point it was when I purchased it. (The previous owner believed it needed a new IP)

I then gradually (read: 1/4 turn at a time) adjusted the fuel rate and drove the truck. It took 2-1/4 full turns of the nuts to get where I am now. It will run at 700*-800* on a flat run, while seeing 1050* on a long run up a big hill. It has never gone over 1050*.

I would not do this with out getting a pyro, and doing all of the basics first. And read, read, read, your TM's and search this site and read more.

Good luck, and keep us up to date.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

While 54reo's explanation is awesome, Mine was a dog till I swapped out the air filter. I tried to run pressurzed air through the one it came with and got nothing! I tried going around the block with out the air filter(very bad for your motor by the way) and had huge power gains. Just tossing out my experiance.

jwaller

just cause it doesnt smoke doesnt mean it's starved for fuel.
The trucks in STOCK form dont smoke much if any. turned up then yes they do.

What do your fuel filters look like?

is your intake pump woking?

54reo

Re: RE: PIC

gimpyrobb said:
While 54reo's explanation is awesome, Mine was a dog till I swapped out the air filter. I tried to run pressurzed air through the one it came with and got nothing! I tried going around the block with out the air filter(very bad for your motor by the way) and had huge power gains. Just tossing out my experiance.
Thanks Gimpy, I forgot one of the basics. I had replaced the air filter prior to replacing the fuel filters. Good catch.

Actually, I think you may have been the one to recommend that to me in the chat room one night.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can skip around or if you go to the Resources pull down click on technical manuals second page second line there you will find LDS 465 trouble shooting manual. This is the tune up guide for our motors. It even states if you start at the top and run through the manual you might find the problem before you have to go through the hole thing.
No special tools really needed just fallow the yellow brick road. 8)

tiger422

Thanks all
Air filter is new pump in tank seems to work well primes filters very fast good flow.
Iwill be putting in pyro tomarrow pulled the cover off adjustment nuts the jam nut is loose adjustment nut moves easy with fingers.
I think this is going to be my problem.
Iwill let you know.
Thanks for all the help, Love the web site lots of good info.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boost gage? If you wish to set stock settings then 9.82 psi at 2400 under load set with double lock nuts and 4.91 psi at 1600 rpm under load set with droop screw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks