• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel options for M35A2s....

PanzerAce

A friend of mine might be picking up a M35A2, and since I have an account already, he got me to ask about this. He was wondering what kind of fuel mixtures are possible in these engines. He knows that you can dilute the diesel with other fluids, but what is the MAXIMUM you could dilute it for a given fluid and still have it start and run (ignoring any loss in milage).

FWIW: This would have to run/start in temperatures from 9*F in the winter to about 110-120*F in the summer. Thanks for the help :D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!
Stick with diesel #1 and kerosene if you have it. They can be mixed in any proportion. The fuels listed on the data plate in the cab gives you the options, for alternate fuels, do a search on here. should bring lots of hits.....
Figure 8 to 10 mpg for the empty truck, slightly less with veggie/bio fuels.

PanzerAce

Hmmm, couldn't find anything really the first time I hit that was useful, guess I'll go back and look again....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have used red fuel (off road diesel just for emergency of course), regular diesel, gasoline with used motor oil (the engine loved this) and laquer thinner with used motor oil. The last mixture ran real good but the cleansing property of the laquer cleaned pulled all the crud out of the system and I had to change the filters.
It is now running great but I havent tried veggie in it yet. With the price of fuel veggie is looging better and better since I have a source of a lot of it.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
gasoline with used motor oil (the engine loved this)

How did your engine like it? Mine was spitting and backfiring on occasion.

Where did you get the used oil and did you filter it first. I have a large source of used engine oil but have been scared to run it without filtering it first.

FreightTrain

Banned
mine loves it too.As for filtering it.Why not buy a used fuel filter housing(the double jobber) and just filter the used oil though this.Or get a remote oil filter setup and some cheap filters and just pump the oil though that one time(I kinda like hte fuel filter setup).You can usually get the Deuce setup on Ebay for real cheap(20-30bucks) plus the filters are pretty cheap.Just use 2 drums.One for raw,mount a 110V pump between them with the filters.Just draw "Fuel" outta the finished drum.Or just forget the entire double drum and pump directly outta the raw,though the pump,then though the filter and into the deuce.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How did your engine like it? Mine was spitting and backfiring on occasion.
The engine ran just like it did on regular diesel. It did not smoke excessivley, run rough, knock, skip, bark, run around in circles or foam at the mouth. :lol:

When I put the laquer thinner in it I was running almost pure LT with a small amount of UMO to lubricated the pump. It ran like a striped assed ape but the gaskets on the secondary and third fuel filter went FUBAR and leaked all over the block.

When I removed the filters the bottoms of the cans were full of a tar-like substance that had clogged up the filters. I assume that the thinner had a very cleansing effect on the whole system and all of the bad stuff was sucked into the filter cans.

I cleaned the cans in my parts washer, installed new filters and she started right up.
I still have about 40 gallons of the thinner but I will only run five gallons at a time until I get rid of the investment.

Someone told me you should only run alternative fuels in the multi in an extreme emergency and go back to diesel as soon as possible.
If anyone has this in writing I would like to see it.
I have to do something about the high price of fuel. I am contemplating veggie and have accumulated several gallons.