• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel polishing

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I ran into a water in my fuel issue last summer. I have been looking into keeping my stored fuel "up to par". Circulating fuel from a tank, through filters, and back to the tank is considered fuel "polishing".

Another member and I won a "lot" of blood coolers and in this lot we got 4 centrifugal pumps. I took off the 3phase 1.5hp motor and replaced it with a 110 single phase motor. Most of the cam-lock hoses I have are of the 3/4 variety, so I adapted the input/output to 3/4. I was worried that most of my spin on filter heads were 3/8 or smaller, then I saw that house filter with 3/4 in and outs. I guess I will use this to do most of the filtering till I find a high volume water block/filter.

I am just testing this out with stuff I have sitting around till I see if it will accomplish what I want. Then I might spend money on additional items. I will try to update the thread as I discover things through trial and error.

Here is a pic of the pump as of 15min ago.

Attachments

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
gimp, give me some info on the new motor you put on your pump....I haven't had time to look at them yet, but it appears you have.

gimpyrobb

(Ed)It was in the "scrap pile" at Crusher's. I tested the impeller and housing and it fit! It is only 3/4hp though. I'd like to find a 24v motor for my other pump.

Phil, if you get some filter housings with decent sized inlets and outlets, you let me know! Do you have any opinion on the gulf coast filter's F-1 filter?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the nameplate still on the motor? It will give a "Frame" size. That's the really important part. I think it should be a "56C" or something similar.

gimpyrobb

I have access to many computer HDDs. I have removed MANY of their magnets and will be using them on my filter. I already have a bunch stuck to the side of my HHO tank!

dozer1

I wonder if that filter is capable of handling what that pump can dish out. Guess that will come out in the trial and error. Looks like it just might work. Good luck

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have to question if the pump (being centrifugal) will lift any oil. Unless it's a vane/gearotar style pump, I don't see it happening without the pump and pickup being below the fuel. At least we've never managed to get it to work with the ones we've had. We've always resorted to gearotor and diaphragm pumps when dealing with WVO/WMO. Vanes seemed to be problematic at times as well.

gimpyrobb

The pump will be below the fuel. I will be taking fuel from the bottom of the HHO tank and pumping up to the top. I have other means of pumping, but decided on trying this one first. Will advise once I try it out.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
(Ed)It was in the "scrap pile" at Crusher's. I tested the impeller and housing and it fit! It is only 3/4hp though. I'd like to find a 24v motor for my other pump.
The 24volt motor that I'm going w/ is an electric scooter motor. They can spin up into the 2000+RPM range and move a 200+lb man down the road. They come in several sizes/ratings. The one I was looking at goes for about $50.
Here's one for $35 that should work; 24volt motor
I'll use it to power the SBC oil pump that I'm using as a transfer/pick-up pump on the trailer.
Right now that is powered by a 1/3 hp 110 motor.

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

Northern tool has fuel filters and housing's with 3/4 and 1 inch ports, they also have water block filters, that is where i get all my filter housing's for my fuel tanks.

gimpyrobb

Thanks Lowtech, but the pumps I have require a specific bolt pattern and a threaded shaft for the impeller.

Scott, I will be testing this out with whats on hand, cause I'm cheap. Once I find the pump and filter work as I want, I will start purchasing additional items. So far, it looks like I might experiment with making my own filter housing to accomplish what I want. If that turns out to be crap, I might just make a "filter bank" of multiple filters to accomplish goals.

Today was the first day in 6 weeks that it didn't rain at all. Naturally, I was helping load out an 818, so I didn't get the chance to try the pump out. I did however get a nice sun burn. Warmer(and dryer) weather is just around the corner! Along with chicks in bikinis. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks