• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel problem (I hope)

Buckeye2000

It looks like I'm about to jump in and get some firsthand education on deuce mechanicals.

I took it out to get some feed/hay and it ran perfectly, no problems at all. I was home for about an hour when a neighbor came by to see it, and I fired it up. It started and ran perfectly, then shut down like the fuel had been cut off. No strange noises or death rattles when it shut down.

It started right back up but I heard a banging noise from under the hood (I shut it down immediately). After saying every cuss word I know and making up some new ones, I started poking around and didn't see anything noticeably wrong. I looked under the oil fill cap and the valvetrain (what I could see of it) was oiled, there was oil on the stick, there are no leaks, etc.

Here's my hope: there seem to be a lot of fuel issues that can crop up with the deuce and I've been reading through the posts. I'm crossing my fingers that some crap knocked loose from the tank and cut the fuel off. Is it possible for the engine to "lean out" (for lack of a better term) and knock when the fuel gets choked off? I'm familiar with this on gas engines but this is my first multi.

And I'm not naive, I know the alternatives :cry: I'm just hoping that after waiting all of this time to get the truck, nothing catastrophic would happen. I have not yet drained or changed the filters (we just got back into town and a pm session was on the calendar for today). I am planning to drain/clean the tank as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I totally off base with my hopes? If so, give it to me straight......I can take it.

Thanks for any input/ideas.

dittle

Don't know how cold it is where you're at but if you're not running mixed/treated fuel in the winter its possible you gelled up. Don't know if this would cause a knock sound or not (possible due to starvation in the cylinders) so I would check the filters to see if you're gelled.

Buckeye2000

Don't know how cold it is where you're at but if you're not running mixed/treated fuel in the winter its possible you gelled up. Don't know if this would cause a knock sound or not (possible due to starvation in the cylinders) so I would check the filters to see if you're gelled.
Thanks, I forgot to mention that in the post. It's been pretty cold here (teens and single digits), so I'm hoping that's the case. I'm running straight diesel, a mix of who-knows-what from when it was sitting and 15 gallons or so of fresh.

Divemaster920

Banned
If you open the top of the fuel filters and fuel comes out you know that your pump works and there is no air up to that point. And you can see the condition of your fuel.

Buckeye2000

I ran out of daylight and didn't have time to do much, but I opened the bleeder on the bottom of the primary filter and plenty of clean diesel came spraying out as soon as the master swtich came on. Is it supposed to be more of a stream, or is a spray normal?

Also, oil was at the full mark on the stick and didn't look foamy or milky. Hopefully I'll be able to poke around more tomorrow.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since it is a multi-fuel you can dump in a couple gallons of reg gas.
Cheaper that Power Service and does the same thing.
I see on the news that it is way cold up there....if you are going to drive the deuce a lot I would consider 50/50 gas/diesel.

Buckeye2000

Update - added some Powerservice and drained some more out of the filters, she fired right off and ran fine. I still need to drain/clean the tank and change the filters. Maybe I'll get snowed in and have nothing else to do :-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks