• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Problem On Deuce

jgusler

I went out to start the duece today after sitting for several months and it just cranked no fuel.I pulled the pump from tank cleaned the screener and tightned the clamp on hose inside the tank still no fuel.Im getting fuel to the injector pump but none to the injectors.Does a injector pump go bad while just sitting and not running or does it give signs that its going bad?My truck ran like a top before parking it,didnt even crank a half a turn and it was running.Thanks for any info you guys can give me!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was your fuel shut off cable pulled out for several months?

Do you have fuel pressure at the top of the secondary filters, at the bleeder?

jgusler

I got fuel coming out of bleeder and the shut off cable was inward position and I also replaced the fuel filters but it didnt help.

AGE|kshaufl

Ditto Doghead. If your shut off is pulled out for an extended period it can freeze / rust in place. If you then push it in to run, you would think that it should start but a no go is possible. This is common.

AGE|kshaufl

My guess is that the shut off is stuck in the out position.

Check where the cable connects to the shut off. A little Pen Lube will solve the problem. Try working the shut off in and a out a few times. If it is still stuck, you might have to use a little convincer on it (Pliers).

Keep us posted.

stancanpara

My guess is that the shut off is stuck in the out position.

Check where the cable connects to the shut off. A little Pen Lube will solve the problem. Try working the shut off in and a out a few times. If it is still stuck, you might have to use a little convincer on it (Pliers).

Keep us posted.
:ditto: Happened to me on my M275.... I sure felt foolish when I worked on my truck for days and then a buddy came over, reached in, tapped it with a hammer and poooof! She popped right off.... [thumbzup]

jgusler

I just checked the fuel shut off cable and it is in the inward position and I also took it loose on the side of injector pump to make sure it wasnt stuck inside but it was ok also.Everything is leaning toward the injector pump but I dont understand how it went bad sitting there?

BadMastard

I don't know if this is common, but a few weeks ago, I foolishly ran mine out of fuel. I refilled the tank, checked the in tank pump which was working, checked the shutoff, which was working, and wouldn't start. I checked the filters, and they had fuel all the way to the final. I cracked the lines on the injectors on the in side, and still nothing. I cracked the return line at the T and things started happening. Can't tell you what it was, but it did seem to fix her.

AGE|kshaufl

I just checked the fuel shut off cable and it is in the inward position and I also took it loose on the side of injector pump to make sure it wasnt stuck inside but it was ok also.Everything is leaning toward the injector pump but I dont understand how it went bad sitting there?

The cable connection on the IP should be in (Or all of the way forward) for running.

Out (Or all of the way to the rear) is Off.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what you should be looking at comming out of the HH and it should move freely. It should spring forward if you move it to the rear or towards fire wall when motor is not running. When it starts it will on its own go towards the rear. Also you never need to crack injectors on a Deuce. Get fuel to the head and she will do the rest!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

jgusler

Mine looks just like that and moves just as you stated. I dont see where this is the problem on mine unless im overlooking something.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe it's time to take out center plug on HH and place a small wood dowell in there and have someone crank it over and it should go up and down.

AGE|kshaufl

Here is the shut off in both on and off states. If you sat with the shut off in the Off position for an extended period. It will stick even though you push in the Engine Shut Off handle.

This will prevent any fuel from getting to the injectors.

BTW that is not fuel leaking it is rain. Still!!!!!

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this plug located at the front of pump on the top? Does someone have a picture of the location of this plug?
It's the plug that is on top and center of HH. The injector lines surround it not real hard to miss. The plunger should move up and down but have heard that if the little center clips falls off the up and down movement does not matter that it's not going to work anyway. Good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

jgusler

Finally got back to working on my truck today and first thing I did was remove the 3/4 bolt form the middle of the hydraulic head and checked to see if the plunger moved up and down and it did, so I guess its time to pull the head and check for the center clip on the bottom.I had fuel coming out the hole when I removed the bolt and cranked it but nothing to the injectors so I hope it's the bottom clip.

jgusler

Got the HH off and guess what the center clip had came off of the bottom of it.Now its time to put everything back together and see what happens.

jgusler

Truck runs like a top,just wanted to thank everyone for the infomation and the help that they have provided me while troubleshooting this problem!Now its time to find a set of front springs to convert it to a bobbed duece!