• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel problem

M-35A3

The m35a2 has been sitting for awhile after some algae and other strange growth has appeared in the fuel system . When i first drained the tank years ago there was green liquid coming out of the primary filter drain which i have to assume is some sort of algae then i found some white paste like material that had a very acidic like smell to it that was very difficult to remove that was located on the filler/screen on the tank that pulls out . I put some gas into the tank to clean out the system a bit only to find the that filler/screen had now "blued" to an extent so when i was last out to the truck recently i pulled it out and sprayed some wd40(it was in truck) onto it which easily cleaned whatever that blue like material off .

Ideally i would drop the tank and remove the pump but that isn't a viable option for me at the time so the closest thing is to possibly open up the drain on the bottom after letting some gas and biocide circulate/soak within the tank even though the tank didn't look that bad last i seen . The fuel pump is making a rattling/grinding like noise which i have to hope is due to the tank being so low fuel (correct me if iam wrong on that ) .

My idea i would like to bounce off everyone here is to disconnect the fuel lines to/from the in tank pump and use a transfer handpump to push pure biocide into the fuel lines and filter canisters until its pure biocide coming out then clamp off some add on lines to sit for a few days then if a bunch of gunk comes out after the biocide does its job ill empty it then hook up the fuel lines back up into the in tank pump and then work on cleaning up the rest of the system somehow. After the biocide is done i was thinking of putting around 10 gallons of gas with more biocide in to clean out the pump and if there is any remnants i havent seen in the tank by letting the pump run for awhile then change the filters . The type of of biocide iam thinking of picking up is from Power service bio kleen diesel fuel biocide , has anyone had experience with this product ?

opinions on the process ? just to note this is the first time i ever encountered a issue like this so if i missed a step let me know .

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal ratio for boiocides is one part biocide to 50 parts fuel when dealing with severe buildups. Probably need to remove filter canisters and throughly clean them before trying to push any liquids through them. Yes, you will have to 'sacrifice' a set of filters, but they will catch what is in the lines and hold it from getting into the injection pump where the tolerances are very tight. If you get crap in there, you will be looking at a new IP unit. 2cents

M-35A3

Normal ratio for boiocides is one part biocide to 50 parts fuel when dealing with severe buildups. Probably need to remove filter canisters and throughly clean them before trying to push any liquids through them. Yes, you will have to 'sacrifice' a set of filters, but they will catch what is in the lines and hold it from getting into the injection pump where the tolerances are very tight. If you get crap in there, you will be looking at a new IP unit. 2cents
I would take line off before it got to to the IP or injectors for first stage of my plan keeping it just filters and lines for this stage , I planned on mixing it on a bit of the higher side but after getting the bottle of biocide in today my original plan of pure biocide in the lines/filter canisters went out the window . As a biocide carrier should i use gas or diesel to get it to mix within the filters and lines ? then after the biocide sits for a few days after its mixed well enough id take it apart physically to do a cleanup of filter housings .

Any ideas on the rattling fuel pump that sounds like gravel clunking around inside the tank ? I can hear the pump turn on but soon makes a loud rattling noise so iam unsure if the fuel would dampen the noise or if there's a problem with the pump .

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ideas on the rattling fuel pump that sounds like gravel clunking around inside the tank ? I can hear the pump turn on but soon makes a loud rattling noise so iam unsure if the fuel would dampen the noise or if there's a problem with the pump .
usually the screens on the bottom of the pump have come loose, pull the pump and verify.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you pull the pump there was a thread where the OP pinned some how the bottom plates so they would never fall out again. Might be worth a thought if you pull it.

M-35A3

usually the screens on the bottom of the pump have come loose, pull the pump and verify.
Any suggestions on how to remove the fuel pump when the screws strip out when any torque is applied to them that holds the pump to tank ? Iam considering using a dremel to cut a notch into the screws in hopes that will work but iam hesitant on grinding on a fuel tank .

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just cut them all off with a wafer wheel and replace with stainless steel and don't paint them over.
Need to get the pump/output hose out and back in with least amount of troubles. Cut the heads
off carefully, pull the pump and remove the threaded screw shafts. Put new hose, gasket, and screws.

Last edited:

sue

Just cut them all off with a wafer wheel and replace with stainless steel and don't paint them over.
Need to get the pump/output hose out and back in with least amount of troubles. Cut the heads
off carefully, pull the pump and remove the threaded screw shafts. Put new hose, gasket, and screws.
The m35a2 has been sitting for awhile after some algae and other strange growth has appeared in the fuel system . When i first drained the tank years ago there was green liquid coming out of the primary filter drain which i have to assume is some sort of algae then i found some white paste like material that had a very acidic like smell to it that was very difficult to remove that was located on the filler/screen on the tank that pulls out . I put some gas into the tank to clean out the system a bit only to find the that filler/screen had now "blued" to an extent so when i was last out to the truck recently i pulled it out and sprayed some wd40(it was in truck) onto it which easily cleaned whatever that blue like material off .

Ideally i would drop the tank and remove the pump but that isn't a viable option for me at the time so the closest thing is to possibly open up the drain on the bottom after letting some gas and biocide circulate/soak within the tank even though the tank didn't look that bad last i seen . The fuel pump is making a rattling/grinding like noise which i have to hope is due to the tank being so low fuel (correct me if iam wrong on that ) .

My idea i would like to bounce off everyone here is to disconnect the fuel lines to/from the in tank pump and use a transfer handpump to push pure biocide into the fuel lines and filter canisters until its pure biocide coming out then clamp off some add on lines to sit for a few days then if a bunch of gunk comes out after the biocide does its job ill empty it then hook up the fuel lines back up into the in tank pump and then work on cleaning up the rest of the system somehow. After the biocide is done i was thinking of putting around 10 gallons of gas with more biocide in to clean out the pump and if there is any remnants i havent seen in the tank by letting the pump run for awhile then change the filters . The type of of biocide iam thinking of picking up is from Power service bio kleen diesel fuel biocide , has anyone had experience with this product ?

opinions on the process ? just to note this is the first time i ever encountered a issue like this so if i missed a step let me know .
i have pressure washed the tank and disconnected the lines
and then flushed them out. Gasoline is good for getting rid of
the bacteria and allgie

IHave pressure washed the tank and flushed the lines before,
gasoline is great for killing algae and the rest out the stuff in
fuel. Other than the hottest part of summer I run at least 5-7%
gas along with diesel around town, no growth in the tank.
Fill your filter and lines with diesel and 10-15 seconds cranking
it usually fires right up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks