• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel pump in the tank die on the M35a2

Trango

Well, I got some about 2 hours ago and my local Napa was out of it. ;)

I ran down the street to Carquest and picked some up. $1.50 a foot. Heck, even my hardware store has it out here.

I should have my fuel all hooked up here in about an hour. Yeeehaw!

Cheers
Bob

Jim145

I went to advance auto and the guy looked at me like I had a third eyeball on my forehead when I asked about it.
I'll check out napa tommorow.

jerrym35a2

Hi guy: Try calling Olympic Control Corp. they are the ones that make them for uncle sam. The part #is 39071-24 and I was quoted a price $225.00 for a new one. They make them in 12 and 24 volt. The person said that this style of pump is still being used in over the road truck. Thier phone # 847-742-3566.Hope this helps alot Jerry Wilson Jerry m35a2

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
e-bay has a new 2 1/2 fuel tank with pump up for bid NOW the stsrting bid is 50.00

ironhorsethegeneral

We had problems getting the fuel line between primarry fuel filter and injection pump. We went to a hydralic hose shop and they made us up a hose right on the spot. Granted between the primary fuel filter and pump is low pressure this hose should last a long time. Only had to re-route a llittle. Hope this helps everyone. [thumbzup]

Trango

Howdy folks!

I hooked up the pump from Saturn Surplus last night and man if it doesn't make all the difference. $38 or something plus shipping, and aside from being noisy, it's the stuff! It should be JUST fine for what I need.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Excellent!

By the way, I also scored a 3 or 3.5" exhaust brake today for EIGHTY DOLLARS. It's frozen open right now, but I'll put her on the bench and get it running before I take it to the exhaust shop on Monday (possibly tuesday), of course with the rest of the deuce. ;)

Bob

Jim145

Well I got my external fuel pump from SS and installed it today, I did notice better starting(the old one never worked since I've had the truck) and it seems to run smoother down the road. I haven't run it to much today because I was working out another glitch with the brakes:banghead: . So far I am very happy with the results. :yeah:

Jim145

I forgot to mention something you will think is funny.......when I hooked up the wire
I wanted to see if the pump worked or not before I installed it.
I needed to groung the unit since it was a one wire pump, when I rubbed it on the frame I had a nice jolt of electric through my hand.

I never really messed with 24v before and that never happend with 12v in the past......what a shocker :jumpin:

Trango

Hey,

I just wanted to report back. The Cat 3208 SCREAMS with the new 24v pump from saturn surplus. Definitely money well spent!

Bob

rice

I have a question on pump. My deuce looses prime. It runs great, but after I shut it off for a few minutes, it won't start. I have to turn the switch on and loosen the bleed screw on top of the filter housing. After the air comes out, it cranks right up. It doesn't have any leaks, so how does the air get in the system. I even installed a check valve just after the line leaves the tank. It helped but I still have the problem most of the time.

rice

I checked all the lines today, everything is tight. I cranked it up today and let it idle for about 10 minutes. When I went to drive off, it quit and wouldn't start. I had to loosen the bleed screw and let the air out before it would crank. This is the first time its ever gotten air in the system while running. I had bled all the air out before I started it initially. Any ideas? The FDC is still hooked up. could that cause this problem? I've worked on vehicles for almost 40 years, but this one is trying to beat me.

red devils dude

man that's a killer I cant think of what would do that, did you check the fuel filters? might not make a difference
but I'd check them just in case, you need a way to check for vacuum but I cant remember how to do it
let me get out the diesel book and see.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to check fuel pressure at the filters before starting and after its running. My guess is that there are 2 things going on here at once. First, the in tank pump is not supplying the needed volume to supply the booster pump on the injection pump. Second between the primary filter and booster pump there is some type of a leak in a line. It probably won't how up as a leak as the booster pump is drawing a vacuum on the line. This is the only thing I can think of. Check the line from the primary to the booster pump. Its copper across the front of the frame then there's a section of rubber attaching to the boooster pump.

rice

Kenneth, I like your logic here. That sounds like that could be it. I'm going to change all the filters I just got then double check all the lines and fittings from the tank to the booster pump. I'll let you know. Thanks guys.

spicergear

Trango, remember that if you pinched off two of your injector lines to your 636" CAT, and ran on 6 holes, you'd be nearly dead even with the stock multifuel! :) I may pick up one of the Saturn pumps for a spare soon. I've noticed that my pump sort of 'ramps up' when I first flip the power switch. Hmmmm...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks