• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pump Not Working

Loose Deuce

I just found out my Fuel Pump hasn't been working, but the engine seems to run ok. How is that possible? If the system is primed, does the injector pump pull the fuel from the tank? I have a short in the power plug on top of tank. I have noticed that some times when I start the engine it will spit and sputter a little for a few seconds. Fuel pump must have been the problem all the time. I didnt think it would run without the fuel pump working, have any of you guys run into this before? :shocked:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, running without the pump isn't a problem. Starting gets more difficult. Don't know what the problem with the pump is but there is a fuse under the little cover on the pump.

Loose Deuce

I just have a loose conection where the power plug plugs in on top. It may be my imagination, but it seemed like it ran better after I fixed it. :jumpin:

spicergear

When I got my blue deuce I was driving it home and it started to hesitate now and then until it just died. The guy had some crappy batteries in it that he had been charging when I pulled in. My alternator was fried too. I hooked another set of batteries up and a new one wire 24V alternator and the truck ran again. Mine would not run without charge.

da_sgt

I ran my deuce for about two years with a dead fuel pump. Not a problem for me, but mines always stored indoors (heated). I normally kill my power switch (Accessory Switch) because I drive most the time on my own prorerty, so theres no need for brake or turn lights. Once started she'll run for ever :yeah:

Trango

Hey Guys,

I dredged up this old post, rather than create a new one.

For some unknown reason, my intank is dead, dead, dead. I pulled it out yesterday, nothing going on with it, and I know it's getting voltage. I even used some MIG wire, pushed through the screens on the pump, to move the impeller, and nothing.

What are the replacement options for this? Is there a cheap unit I can bodge into the stock framework, or am I stuck with the $stock$ replacement?

Thanks

Bob

Westech

CPL
I put in the 24v UV pump from saturn surplus and it works fine for me. Some people have said it wont give the flow for long trips and it starves the main pump on the hwy. But it works just great for me, Ive gone on 300 mile non stop (I dont shut down at pumps) with out a problem. O by the way I did nothing to the pump in the tank I left it alone.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is dead. Gotta check the fuse. I hope I don't have to pull the pump, that requires removing the tank or the cab.

Loose Deuce

I think as long as you can get fuel to the pump, no matter the pressure, the injector pump will take it from there? Or will it not peform as good as with that constant pressure going to the injector pump? Mine seemed to do just fine when the in tank pump didnt work, but I didnt try a long trip either. I do think mine preformed better after getting my pump fixed but I changed a dirty air filter at the same time so who knows? Wouldn't be much of a problem if the pump wasnt so expensive to replace.

Jim145

Well with all this talk I just checked to see if mine is working, and well its not....I am really suprised that there is not a manual primer on these trucks for the fuel filters unless I just din't see one. Are manual primers avalible?

I guess I will be trying the 24v external pump trick too.

Desert Rat

Guys,
An external pump puts out 35 gallons/hour. Specs show a needed draw of 77.5 gal/hour, the balance is put back in the tank. I never used 77.5 gallons in an hour. However, for road trips there is a HUGE difference in power. The engine will get up to about 2100 to 2200 rpm and then starve for fuel in fifth gear. I found out the hard way last week. These external pumps are great for around the yard or to go in town and such. They are not good for high rpm continual use applications. I spend about $120 in all to find this out. So if all you are doing is putzing around town then thie external pump is for you. However, anything else and you really need to replace the in tank pump.

Westech

CPL
I still say the pump from saturn surplus works just fine. I used a 1/2 inch brass fittings and high flow hose. The truck never ran so fast befor. I was flying down hwy 151 in wisconsin and was going over 60 mph. My friend was in his truck besides me and he said I hit 65 for a little strech. The fittings have a HUGE roll in flow rates and hose also! Plane jane rubber fuel hose will flow alot less the the "blue" synthetic type. Yes skin tention. It all adds up. If your turck ever is using over 35 gallons per hour look for the leak, because your mpg just went about down to 1 1/2 -2 mpg.

Not trying to fight!! trust me I get enough at work and home but Im just saying my thoughts and stuff.

hey D Rat yo have any size M brown military under shirts? could use like 10 or more.

n3uka

And I thought I was the only one. Looks like the powerplug was ripped
out at GL before I picked it up. Only had trouble when I parked uphill and
the fuel bled back to the tank. Besides that, It has run fine except when
at high rpm it struggles.
Hoping to have it fixed soon. :banghead:
So I can do 65? Curious about that rpm too

jasonjc

My pump does work either no probles but the my longest trip is about 30miles.
changed the fuel filters to for the first time sence it was rebuilt by uncle sam.
them nataionl graud boy's don't know how i guese. they had 1" of crud and junk in them (all 3) don't know how it was runing espacly sence the tank pump is not working.
took a little cranking and starter fuild to get it started but not too much.

Jason

Desert Rat

WT,
You have a different type of external pump than an off the shelf type I got. Yours will pump well over 35 gal./hour. There is no fuel leak with a higher volume. This is why the fuel system has a fuel return line to the tank. So in theory, yes, there is a leak in the system. It's called the return system. This allows the injector pump to correctly raise the p.s.i. in the injector line to the proper pressure. The excess fuel is diverted to the return line to be pumped again through the fuel system. If you're not sure how it works just retrace the return line to the pump.

Currently I'm out of the browns in M. After the move things will get back to normality.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most trucks won't see a difference unless the fuel rate has been "reset". DRAT your truck should screem with the new tank pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks