• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump operating lever issue......HELP

RNorris

My operating lever does not operate with gas pedal! Should the lever pretty much freely move back and forth? I have to force it by hand in either direction to get the lever to move at all. Is there any particular cause and fix for this?

1971 AM General M35A2, Hercules MF.

DieselBob

I was thinking he was asking about the operating lever on the IP. If that is the case yes it should move freely. Any number of things could cause it to bind. You mentioned that you have to force it by hand to move it. Is the throttle linkage still attached ?

Attachments

gungearz

Dieselbob is correct, the ip parts should all move freely but if its the throttle pullout lever on the dash then you can try to save it by lubricating it. Although it is tough pull in and out to begin with.

RNorris

Thanks guys.......it's not the cable, it is the lever on the IP that the throttle linkage connects too. It is at back end of the governor housing and my pump is an "E" model, so it extends down. Nomenclature in the TM is operating lever and that's all I knew to call it. Sorry for the confusion and any help will be greatly appreciated so I can hopefully get this thing back on the road again.

Rick

RNorris

RNorris

Does the "Stop" cable seem to operate smoothly ?
Yes, the stop cable works fine. I had her running after putting the IP back in and idle is good but when I applied the pedal all it did was compress the spring on the linkage but no movement in the operating lever, thus no increase in RPM.

While I had the IP out, nothing in the governor housing area was fooled with, only the HH.

DieselBob

The one thought I had was maybe the fuel control shaft wasn't engaged with the plunger sleeve on the HH and maybe binding but that should also cause the stop cable to be hard to operate because it engages the end of the control shaft to move the sleeve also. Kind of at a loss as to why changing the HH should cause that. Going to the basics of the IP the operating lever controls the operating shaft which engages the fulcrum lever which connects to the fuel control rod which operates the fuel control shaft. You might try pulling the operating lever / shaft assembly and see if for some reason the shaft is binding in the housing. Just about anything else is going to be internal of the IP.

RNorris

Thanks for the replies guys! I got her fixed and she purrrrs nicely so another M35A2 is back on the road here in West Virginia!

Not sure why the operating lever was binding but I took it apart, cleaned, reset and it all works nicely. I will do a test drive later this week to make sure it's really running right.

DieselBob

Thanks for posting a followup. I just mentioned to the better half a little earlier this evening about this very thread and how I needed to ask what had happened. Glad to hear it's back and working. :-D

RNorris

Follow up to the follow up......had a minor fuel leak at top of HH #6 injector line, all I had to do was snug it up, what "PIA" just to get in there with everything in the way, but its done and another test drive today of about 8-10miles and all is good, no leaks.

Next plan is to drop the oil and dump in some new, find someone local to change out some rubber on the split rims, pick up a compressor wrench to change the belt, pick up the stuff I need to do some basic PMCS and come up with something else to do on her! I love this truck!

RNorris

We love to hear follow ups with resolutions... In a few years, we're going to hear you say... " I Love My Fleet of Trucks"...lol.
I know, right! It's an addiction. I'm always thinking...hmmm, what do I want next from GL? I really want a gun ring for my truck too but what I've seen is that it will cost me more than I paid for my m35a2!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks