• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump push rod

beehumvee

Hi all!

I have broken my pushrod fuel pump, and now I am in a hurry to get one. Does anybody knows its compatibility with other pushrods? It is just to make it easier to buy one and have it shipped to here in Spain.

Thank you!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all!

I have broken my pushrod fuel pump, and now I am in a hurry to get one. Does anybody knows its compatibility with other pushrods? It is just to make it easier to buy one and have it shipped to here in Spain.

Thank you!
you could delete the lift pump and install an Electric lift pump...that rod is quite standard for all older GM trucks.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cam, you sly devil... you know as well as I that when you replace that buggar without greasing the rod in place, the rod slips down and when you think you're closing up by tightening the fuel pump into place the blasted rod gets cracked.

Awesome design! :/

beehumvee, please read up on how to replace the fuel pump before attempting again. You need to take the rod and push it way up into place. Then use thick grease to hold it there while you replace and bolt the pump into place. If you don't hold the rod in place with grease, you have now learned it falls down and gets cracked by the fuel pump lever as you tighten it down.

If you follow RWH's advice, you will have an easier job BUT you need to place a plate over the area IIRC. You will then have a great area for a kill switch to prevent theft.

papakb

Just head over to your local chevy dealer and order a new one. That part hasn't changed for 30 years.

Gasket mounting plate to block: FEL-PRO 5182

Fuel pump: Spectra Premium SP1143MP

Pushrod: Carter PR4 or Dorman 03875

beehumvee

Hi all again!
ing
I am not familiar with mechanics, so I am triying to fix it as original as I have replaced the pump already. I have no idea about how it was broken... i guess when dissambling the pump, cause the vehicle enters garage running....

Tobash, I did not do the job, I have a mechanics doing it... the record is as follows: the old pump leaked, so I decided to replace. I ordered a new one, that cames only with the pump gasket, not the plate mount gasket, so we instakked (using grease to hold the pushrod in position) and it worked well but it leaks engine oil, so I have ordered both new gaskets, and yesterday, when removing the pump to install them, the push rod appear broken, we picked the pice in the interior of the engine with a iman... do you think we installed the pushrod wrong and this is the reason to have it broken?

so i need a new one.

papakb you have provide me a couple of referencies of the push rods, but the are not the same measurements, I am searching on epay, and bot references have different measures, the measurement of the rod I have fits with the carter PR4, but not with dorman 03875.. the question is will both fits my 6.2 engin and work well?

thank you very much for your help

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....you know as well as I that when you replace that buggar without greasing the rod in place, the rod slips down and when you think you're closing up by tightening the fuel pump into place the blasted rod gets cracked.
Not too common - but they do break in two even without doing stupid things...
Post#6 seems to confirm it.

Other threads about the same topic:

papakb

There is no wrong way to install the pushrod. It's merely a piece of steel. The gaskets are the same on both sides of the engine block mounting plate so order 2 or them and replace them both. When you go in to do the job remove the right side splash plate. It makes access to the fuel pump infinitely easier and you can see what your doing.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They break for 2 reasons, stress and improper install of the fuel pump...Ive replaced several over the years.
The pump will go on even though the rod and plunger aren’t aligned, the proper method is usually supplied with the pump.
pack the rod with assembly lube to hold it in place fully recessed into the Shaft hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks