• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump Reo OA-331

Kaiser67M715

Hi all, trying to find a kit to rebuild my fuel pump. I see Memphis sells the whole pump$$$. but really just want a kit.

any places I can check? I believe there is a company that does a whole bunch of these old style pump's but I can't remember the name

Thanks all

Kaiser67M715

Ok, so while working on one of my other projects, got to talking with a couple guys, mentioned the pump. They said try Then and Now auto; located in Mass. So I emailed them, and will update this thread as soon as I hear from them. the site says kits cost anywhere from $27-$55, rebuilds cost around $100-$130, but no specifics as to if they carry a kit(no online ordering), Although they do seem to make a lot of kits themselves.

Anyways, I'll update ASAP

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the oa-331 anything like the 6602*continental gas*engine?
If so, you might try White Owl in NC, or Boyce Equipment in UT. I have sourced parts for my 5T gasser from them previously.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

not exactly the same, but being the same limited run sort of truck(low production with said engines) they might be next on the list for contact, I'm gonna wait and see how Then and Now Auto pans out, hopefully they can help out, they seem to do a number of military rebuilds, both fuel pumps and carburetors

Kaiser67M715

Got a reply from Then & Now Auto,

Thank you for your inquiry . The kit for your pump is part $ FPA182.The cost is $54.50 plus shipping .

Please compare this picture to your pump . Thank you,

Lisa Pawlik
Then And Now Automotive
447 Washington St.
Weymouth, Ma. 02188
"781-335-8860

so looks like they can either make them or have them. Either way it may be better then NOS kits because they make them out of newer material, better for the modern S*** fuel we have to use, had that problem last year with an old VW, went through 2 NOS fuel pump kits, before saying screw it, buying a new pump.

pic that got sent with the e-mail
FPA-182.jpg

their website address as well, although there doesn't appear to be online ordering,
http://then-now-auto.com/

hope this helps those who are trying to save their gassers

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Did you try the FPA-182 kit? If so how did it work out I need to rebuild a pump for a old REO also. I wonder if the pump Memphis is selling will take the new fuel. Hate to give them the big bucks and then find out the pump has the old style parts in it.

Kaiser67M715

Yup, used the kit from Then and Now Auto. Seems to be holding up fine, truck is running pretty good.

Customer service at Then and Now Auto is great too. They forgot one piece, had it sent out very same day.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Thanks for the info. Poking around the net I found this pump made by Airtex. It fits a 1951 Studebaker truck with a 2.8 liter. Looks like a very close sub I think. Specs are about the same as the GI pump. Airtex says it has all the new parts for the new crappy fuel. One would have to do some line modifications and maybe use the old pump lever. The sediment bowl is a positive as we all have to deal with the old gas tank crud in the lines etc.. Rock auto has one for $37.89 plus shipping. Not a bad price. Think I will get one just for grins and see how it works.

http://www.autozone.com/1/products/316323-fuel-pump-527-airtex-527.html

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Hummmm did not know Airtex pumps were not good. I count 9 vehicles I have used them in over the last 25 years with zero problems. Must be just lucky I guess.

Anyway if you go to the Rock Auto web site and do a search for a 1951 2.8 liter Studebaker truck you will find two other vendors that also sell a fuel pump for that truck. I would bet there are other vendors that make a comparable pump also.

Jeepsinker

I can't count how many vehicles I've had to put two or more of them in before getting one that worked in all my years working in automotive shops. I've also had similar luck with them in civilian vehicles I've owned.

That doesn't even count the ones that would work for two days, or a week, and then be back for another fuel pump under warranty... everyone has different experiences, but for me, Airtex has cost me a lot of time and free labor.

Not trying to come off as a d!ck Maccus, that is just my honest experience with them over the years.

rustystud

Airtex pumps are garbage. Spend your money elsewhere.
"Airtex" used to make a good product, but like many other companies they went the "cheap made in China" way to compete with the big boys like "Holley" . I have a fuel transfer pump made by "Airtex" from the 1960's that stills works great ! The new ones won't make it a year on average.

jatonka

I have bought kits for my Reo 331s and my Continental 6602s from Then and Now Auto Parts several times and they are definitely made with material that holds up to ethanol gas. They are great to deal with. The kits are very complete and the fuel pumps work great after rebuild. JT out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks