• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Sending Unit Access Panel

mccullek

Does anyone have or know where to find the instructions for creating an access panel for the fuel sending unit. I would prefer to create this access versus dropping the tank.

I think the kits come with instructions but I can build my own access cover for a few dollars, so prefer not to spend over $100 for a cover and instructions.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I found something on this in case anyone needs it in the future. I haven’t tried these measurements yet, but assuming they are accurate. Will update this thread later when I get to it.

Thanks for finding the HMMWV Fuel Tank Access information @mccullek !
I downloaded the images - so that in the future - if they disappear, we have local copies of the information.

HMMWV Fuel Tank Access Cover 01.jpg HMMWV Fuel Tank Access Cover 02.jpg
HMMWV Fuel Tank Access Cover 03.jpg

mccullek

I have some extra panels if needed.
Thanks for the offer. I should have been more patient, but I just decided due to time and effort I would buy the kit, so I ordered one from the Hummer Parts guy. He seemed to have the lowest cost and most reasonable shipping price.

I’m sure I could have fabricated something, but seeing some pictures of this it’s not very noticeable and I plan to do a paint restoration as well, so believe it would look the best without spending a lot of time and effort. I will update this post with some feedback and images after completing this project.

Below is a link to an interesting option that I considered, but I didn’t want to drop the tank and wasn’t sure I could do the fabricating properly without doing so. For anyone that has the tank out, this might be a nice option.

Speedway Motors Fuel Sender Access Door https://a.co/d/2YkXkEY

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the offer. I should have been more patient, but I just decided due to time and effort I would buy the kit, so I ordered one from the Hummer Parts guy. He seemed to have the lowest cost and most reasonable shipping price.

I’m sure I could have fabricated something, but seeing some pictures of this it’s not very noticeable and I plan to do a paint restoration as well, so believe it would look the best without spending a lot of time and effort. I will update this post with some feedback and images after completing this project.

Below is a link to an interesting option that I considered, but I didn’t want to drop the tank and wasn’t sure I could do the fabricating properly without doing so. For anyone that has the tank out, this might be a nice option.

Speedway Motors Fuel Sender Access Door https://a.co/d/2YkXkEY
Here how that opening looks. It gives access to the sender and some of the top lines, it’s not large enough to replace the top gasket.

A2C7ECFB-683E-404C-B644-2B561D903C2A.jpeg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
57K3529
Comes with instruction, of course one of the first things the instructions tells you is to remove fuel tank.. :)
I believe some have done it in place though..
Does anyone have or know where to find the instructions for creating an access panel for the fuel sending unit. I would prefer to create this access versus dropping the tank.

I think the kits come with instructions but I can build my own access cover for a few dollars, so prefer not to spend over $100 for a cover and instructions.
About the only thing you can "access" is the fuel sending unit.

AAVP7

I´ve done the cutout with the fuel tank in place, but I recommend to drop the tank.
Those fuel lines at the top of the above photo are VERY close to the body. In my case, the rightmost tube was even touching the body.

I used a kind of Dremel with a depth control ring, so did cut just a fraction more than the alu sheet metal was thick, yet I got a little nick in that fuel tube.

So either drop the tank (just an inch is enough), or cut VERY carefully.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks