• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel spraying from primary

deuceman51

I have fuel spraying from the stock primary fuel filter on the top. I recently took it apart and cleaned out about an inch of sludge. I couldn't believe how much crap was in there. I don't have a filter for it yet so I cleaned and reused the old one for temp sake, but after I screwed it back on fuel now sprays fronm the top of the filter assembly above where the can screws onto. I think that there is a nut on top that is part of the bolt assembly that connects to the cannister. Has anyone every had this problem and if so how did you fix it. I am looking into replacing it with a napa filter system pending on the cost vs. military filters from napa. Thanks in advance.

sprucemt

Primary filter

I have the correct military genuine issue filter in stock. $18.50 plus UPS ground. You will find they are far superior to commercial aftermarket filters.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a rubber grommet that comes with the fuel filter and should be replaced when you change the filter. This rubber grommet goes around the shaft that the filter threads onto. It basically acts like a washer. You probably destroyed the old grommet when you removed the filter. The grommet was probably dry and deteroriated.

deuceman51

It isn't the rubber grommet inside the cannister. It's spraying fuel from on top of the assembly near where the braket mounts to the frame. I think there is a removable bolt on top of the whole assembly that is leaking?

Boatcarpenter

Fuel filter differences

While on the subject of fuel filters, here is a ?.
Shown below are two pics of primary fuel filters with the same NSN. Note that the inner raised ring with the eight 1/4 inch holes is recessed on one and raised on the other. Will they both work, and if not, which is correct?
Thanks,
BC

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: Fuel filter differences

they will both work... just look at the sealing surfaces on the cover of the cannister and the washer on the bottom. I prefer the Wix replacement with cork on both ends... I have complete new filter assemblies for $35... can filter and all..... rampartsllc@aol.com

Boatcarpenter

Thanks ACE, thought so but didn't want to get in there and not have a replacement on hand. Had a few hiccups driving around Sunday so time to change the filters and possibly a tank flush!

jatonka

Primary fuel filter adaptors to spin-on are available. No Flames required, just PM me if interested. page 48 Military Vehicles magazine ran an article.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

There are two rubber seals, so one of the two is the problem. One probably needs replacing, or it was installed or became crooked when installed. I kind of like the cork seal too as it should seal better then metal to metal. I just wish it was easier to center them.

I looked at the making an adapter to a modern screw on filter, but I don't see the point. I have not seen your design, but it would just keep all the potential leak point and add another. In the technical articles there is a great write up by Devilman that uses a easy to buy NAPA filter base for trucks. With that base it removes three leak points, and uses standard filters.

sprucemt

The pics of the filters are both correct. Same nsn, different part numbers. The second pic shows the cleanable version of the filter. You can use diesel and lightly wash and scrub off the grime. Both available on my website.