• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel system drawing a vacuum

andyh1956

That's right- remove the tank-pickup- cap & lines from the equation by bottle feeding it. Install a pressure gauge to be sure. But before you do anything do this- your engine's symptoms are CLASSIC Stopped Up Housing Pressure Check Valve. Remove the check valve completely & start the engine & see if it continues to run & report back. It will slobber fuel but it wil rinse off.

Squibbly

That's right- remove the tank-pickup- cap & lines from the equation by bottle feeding it. Install a pressure gauge to be sure. But before you do anything do this- your engine's symptoms are CLASSIC Stopped Up Housing Pressure Check Valve. Remove the check valve completely & start the engine & see if it continues to run & report back. It will slobber fuel but it wil rinse off.
There is some of that good old "experience" advice that makes this forum a gold mine. (y)

Where is that "check valve" located exactly? Do you have a picture?

I assume it is this one?
2022-06-20-082728_702x641_scrot.png

Last edited:

andyh1956

Did you start the engine with the check valve removed?
Was there ANY Black Residue that would appear to look like Black Pepper in the base of the check valve?
If the engine will run with the ck valve removed, re-install the ck valve & start the engine but leave the return hose dis-connected. If the engine runs with the hose disconnected but will Not Run with the hose re-connected then the return line may be stopped up.
If the engine starts & runs during any of these tests look to see if you have fuel / pressure coming from the fuel return hoses back to the ck valve. If you do then there is an injector that is allowing cyl pressure to enter the fuel system, either on the delivery or the return side- or Both!
This is a condition that will drive you Nutz!
But regardless, bottle feed the suction & disconnect the return & see what happens. If this engine won't run with fuel return disconnected & being bottle fed then you have a mechanical problem with inj pump and or injector / injectors.
By the way that glass ball in the Housing Pressure Ck Valve CAN be Dug outta there & the truck will run without it to get home. But the inj pump will loose it's prime by Siphon Action over night. To prevent this keep the fuel tank as full as possible & park the truck Nose Down as Steep as possible & it will start the next morning.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Im not an expert but a pinched return line will cause these problems if you need to shut down a diesel for one reason or another just pinch the return line off on top of the IP and it will shut the engine down.

GunnyM1009

I don't have a lot to add on this subject but I will say there is a 4 or 5 inch piece of rubber fuel line about mid way down the frame at least there is on mine. It connects two sections of fuel line. It could just be on mine, not really sure if it's on all of them. On mine it's between the passenger door and the rear tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks