• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel system ferrules

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are the ones from the injector return lines, huh? I think I found some, but they are stainless, too hard for the plastic line. When/if you find some, please do let us know, I am in need of a few too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to find a source for those. I've been reusing them to the point where I ream them back out to fit the new line. What a PITA.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Fuel system ferrules

WillWagner said:
Those are the ones from the injector return lines, huh? I think I found some, but they are stainless, too hard for the plastic line. When/if you find some, please do let us know, I am in need of a few too.
Yeah, I'll be needing a few for the FDC bypass operation. I'd like to keep things as much to mil-spec as possible. 3/8" and 1/4 inch.
Also for the return lines on the LDS465-2, they are all brittle and need to be replaced.

It would take some doing to reuse the ferrules, reaming them out Kenny? :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Fuel system ferrules

On a recent trip, I had a line crack and spray fuel. It was one of the 1/4" return lines between the injectors. I did notice the ferrules were not standard compression type ferrules but I needed to make a temporary repair to get home so I used a couple of standard type ferrules and a new piece of .250" od-.177" id line. I used the little line end inserts as well as the new normal compression type ferrules and it all went together ok. I am a little concerned that they may not come back apart as easy as the original type ferrules. Has any one else done this? And if so has it worked as well as the correct ferrules? I did not tighten things as much as i normally would have because I was concerned that the new incorrect ferrules might bind in or split the nuts. What do you guys think?

Bjorn, are all three examples in your picture above different types?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel system ferrules

doghead said:
Bjorn, are all three examples in your picture above different types?
Yes they are.
I have also been playing around with "standard" hardware store ferrules and they seem to work okay, maybe we are overthinking it a bit.

In bypassing the FDC, the loops shown in the diagram can be replaced with pipe plugs, one 1/4 NPT one for the inlet and one 1/8 NPT one for the outlet of the FDC. A compression fitting (?) plug can be used at the overflow valve connection.
I assume the loops are there to be able to use existing fittings, only.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Fuel system ferrules

I have used some stainless steel 2 piece "bite type" ferrules on 3/8" SS tube for some high pressure (below 3000 psi) power steering lines. I think that they require a matching nut for them(all of the ones i used came as a nut, seat and ferrule set( with the seat part adapting to some standard end like a pipe thread or sae face. I would guess that the loops in the FDC bypass setup are like that because there is no such item as a compression type "plug". I'm not sure about that but I don't ever recall seeing such a fitting.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, that does look like it would be a suitable plug! I have used a plug looking like that on flared copper before but never considered it for a compression plug!(never needed to plug a compression opening though) Is that plug 37 degree or 45 degree? Bjorn, do you have a flare nut that might screw onto the plug just to see if they are the same threads?

rdixiemiller

Those fittings are Swagelok, or Parker "Bite Loc" fittings. The Parkers come from McMaster Carr, The Swageloks come from Ga. Valve and fitting. Ferrule sets are about .90 each, but they are high pressure rated. They are sold according to OD of the tubing, and are available in Brass, SS, and nylon. There is also a brass inner sleeve you push into plastic tubing to prevent it from collapsing. You have to be careful not to overtighten these, Tighten them til they touch, then give them 4-5 flats. Go to www.swagelok.com and get the specs on these fittings. I have used thousands of these in paint shops over the years. There are female and male caps and plugs, tees, various threaded adapters, etc. available for them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at the supply I have of these "bite type" fittings. The ones I have are SS Swagelok and Parker. I took a 3/8" fitting off of an LDT IP I have in the garage and they do look to be compatible. I was able to thread a military male nut into a female SS Swagelok fitting. and visa versa. I still don't understand why the military ferrule is different though? Nor do I know what one would work best!

rdixiemiller

OK. Call Ga. Valve and fitting, ask for Linda. 1/4" brass ferrule sets are B-400-SET. They come 10 to a stick, and in 100 packs. Price is $.56 per set if you order 100, maybe a tad more if you get 10. They are in Ga., (678)-624-0949. These are sized in 1/16" increments, 300 is 3/16, 400 is 4/16 (1/4) 600 is 6/16 (3/8) etc. They also carry tees, pipe thread adapters (male or female) caps, plugs, etc. Linda has been forwarned that MV collectors may be calling, she will be able to help out. Go to www.swagelok.com and search the fitting line, you can find most everything.
My thermocouple is installed in my manifold with a 3/16 tube x 1/8 npt SS Swagelok fitting. I drilled it out to full bore size to accomodate the thermocouple, although you can buy them already drilled out (thermocouple adapters). These are serious fittings, they work just fine on high pressure hydraulic fittings.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead, so it the fitting you have the same as the one I posted the pictures of?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Will they are. Also Will I see that your pic shows DOT approved brake line. I wonder why couldn't you use it for fuel line as well? It is a Nylon composition, right?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sure does look like it! They have the 3/8 ones as well. I would think it would still be best to use the tube end inserts also, if they are compatible with these?