• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel system ferrules

Westech

CPL
I have replaced alot of the fuel lines on my Deuce and I use the compression fitting type. I always make sure to install the brass stints in the line so the fitting does not cut in to the hose. I have not had a problem with any of them leaking. using the correct ones is always a good thing but the other type works just as well. Remember that it seals on the front side of that compression fitting not on the back side, so even if that nut mangles up the fittling on the back side a bit it does not matter.

houdel

doghead said:
Yup, that does look like it would be a suitable plug! I have used a plug looking like that on flared copper before but never considered it for a compression plug!(never needed to plug a compression opening though) Is that plug 37 degree or 45 degree? Bjorn, do you have a flare nut that might screw onto the plug just to see if they are the same threads?
Doghead - I found both male compression plugs and female compression caps at a local hydraulics shop. I use them to plug off my fuel lines and fuel filter bases when I am changing fuel filters.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The dufus behind the counter at a local "specialty hose" shop said synflex or DOT air line wouldn't work 'cause the hose would get brittle, then he said soft? I,m gonna do a test. I'll put a length of the line...like the one posted preveiosly in this thread... and see what it does. I don't see why it wouldn't work, Volvo and Freihgtliner have been using the same stuff for years.

rdixiemiller

OK guys, don't go get all happy using the wrong line for fuel. Polypropylene line will NOT last with diesel. It is not rated for the temperatures nor the hydrocarbons. Poly line is water or air only. DOT air line is designed to hold truck air pressures and temperatures and to be oil and fuel resistant, not proof. I'll dig out my industrial plastics catalog on Monday and post the recommendations. Nylon 11 is probably the best material, best price stuff to use. It is extremely resistant to petroleum solvents of all kinds, has good temperature and pressure ratings, high abrasion resistance, and bends nicely. PTFE (Teflon) is more chemically resistant, not as flexible, not as high pressure, and cuts easier. It also costs about 10 times as much. I have used literally hundreds of miles of the stuff for paint and air lines in industrial paint shops over the years. The Nylon is the best stuff to use on the fuel system of a deuce that I know of. I imagine DOT air line would be OK in the fuel system in a pinch, but I would definately get the right stuff as soon as possible. A fine stream of fuel on a hot manifold is a real fire hazard, you don't want to burn down your truck over $10 worth of hose.

wdbtchr

This is an old thread I found while looking for return lines for an LDS46651A engine. What was decided on the best material for the return line hoses? I have a spare engine that part of the return lines are missing. Of the ones still there some are copper and some are clear plastic. I'd like to repair these so I can try to start the engine.:roll:

wdbtchr

We used to have a NAPA distribution center here in St Louis that had a lot of old timers but they sold the site and it's a hotel now. They built a new store in the area but I don't think it's a shipping center, way smaller and came with new people that can only work a computer.

Next time I had down to the farm I have to hit the NAPA down there, us hillbillys are better at scrounging up fixes that ain't in the book.:shock:

I'd alway heard that us hillbillys had one let shorter than the other from walkin' round them hills. When I came up here to the big city to work I started having back problems so I went to a chiropractor( actually several looking for relief). Finally the one I been going to for about 20 years now told me my right let is quite a bit shorter than my left and that was why my back hurt. Actually that just happens to be the leg my brother cut with the chain saw when I was 17.:idea::roll:

Warren Lovell

NAPA tubing part number is (Weatherhead) WH # NT1004BK-100
NAPA ferrule part number is WH # 60 x 4
NAPA tubing insert part number is WH #1484 x 4

My deuce had both clear and black Weatherhead lines on it. The clear line had noticeable cracks.
The motorpool sergeant at Pendleton said they use Lowes or Home Depot semi-clear hard plastic line.
I think I will stick with the Weatherhead airbrake line, which also has written on it DOT 1913 type A, made in USA.

Warren Lovell

Injector return line part numbers M35A2

My deuce had both clear and black Weatherhead lines on it. The clear line had noticeable cracks.
The motorpool sergeant at Pendleton said they use Lowes or Home Depot semi-clear hard plastic line.
I think I will stick with the Weatherhead airbrake line, which also has written on it DOT 1913 type A, made in USA.

Warren Lovell

stancanpara

:ditto:

NAPA is great! My fuel line split open. Took it off and carried it into NAPA, Terry (the owner) asked what I had there and I told him it was a fuel line off my Tonka truck. I expected a smirk or at least a :cookoo: He didn't even blink an eye! "No problem! Do you want it the exact same length, shorter or longer?" I also got two new ferrules and inserts and he said use the old nuts... I was in and out of the store in less than a minute! GREAT PEOPLE!:driver: