• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel "system" sticking

jimmcld

My 816 sat for a couple of months before I tried to start it. When I did try, it would try to start but not quite run. I finally found that the throttle was sticking and not opening with the foot pedal. After I freed up the throttle shaft, it started right up and ran fine. A month later, no start! The throttle was stuck again. After freeing it up again, still no start. Found that the valve that switches tanks is also stuck, and emergency shut off valve is stuck. I now wonder if the electric shut off valve is stuck also.

What would cause all of this? Is it simply the low sulfer fuel without additives? And, is there a simple was to free everything up, or, am I going to have to dismantle everything and take it all apart?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sitting a lot doesn't help.
Yes, the Military lets things sit a very long time. A lot of problems can occur because of that.
Drive it more or at least start it and let it run for an hour or so weekly.

Most guys add something to the fuel to keep everything lubed.
I use two-cycle motor oil.
Works great, doesn't cost a lot, it's designed to be burned.

Plenty of info here on additives.

wcuhillbilly

As for the linkages sticking,,, depending on where in TX you are the humidity can play into effect.
The tank valve is a known problem.. I just dumped mine and ran stainless AN 10 line from tank to a spin on filter then to PT pump and my system is a lot happier. the selector valve is a know air suck point. Try to use threaded hose/fittings here as the pushlocks will start leaking air into you system about a year after install.

The linkage and the Emerg Shutdown can be somewhat fixed by a good scrubbing and lube. if its sandy there,, I would look into a dry lube, instead of an oil base(lithium grease),,, Even bar soap or wax can be used for lubing wear points..
The fuel shutoff solenoid is easily taken off and scrubbed. I have seen rust start inside the solenoid void and the little shim plates will become stuck.. This is a place for Dilectric grease, The solenoid is not terribly expensive but is a deal breaker if it wont let you start or stop the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks