• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank & Battery relocation ideas?

fantastico

I have looked high and low and i have not found this exact idea done here, YET?

I ask a question first, can the two batteries be located inside the cab under the passenger seat? Never seen it done in any vehicle, so i am thinking its a NO, but i had to ask?

2nd ?

If one moved that battery box, then relocated the fuel tank under the door with steps on it, could that work? I was thinking of running dual tanks on either side of the truck under the doors with steps attached. Would it work, would it look good or stupid, anyone done this?

Any ideas?

zout

I will tackle the battery question:
You absolutely do not want batteries in the cab. When they charge they produce gas that can explode - and will explode. That is if the gas does not render you unconcious first.

I would not even trust a glass mat battery in the cab.

Hammer

Actually, the arctic kits relocated the batteries to under the seat. They then put a fuel fired heater where the original batteries where.

Honestly, it would be very easy to make a sealed box for the batteries and have it vent to the outside. It is done in race cars all the time, and a simple box is even easier in the deuce cab.

Btw, M715's came stock with the batteries in the cab. The HMMWVs have them in the cab. It is done all the time. Some setups are better then others, but it's easy enough to do.

Hammer

As for the fuel tanks under the doors.
It is do-able, but a step will stick pretty far out.
And that puts the fuel tank in the most dangerous spot of getting hit when you go over objects.
Easier to pull the spare tire setup and put the extra tank there.

Vented battery boxes are easy to come by. But I wouldnt do it unless i was really concerned about the cold. You would be giving up alot of valuable cab space. Id rather buid a box and place them in the bed, same with the fuel tank. Imagine how much ground clearance youd gain by moving the batteries, fuel tank, and spare tire into the bed and losing the storage box.

JasonS

I will tackle the battery question:
You absolutely do not want batteries in the cab. When they charge they produce gas that can explode - and will explode. That is if the gas does not render you unconcious first.

I would not even trust a glass mat battery in the cab.
This has an easy solution. Use a VRLA battery (ie. concorde) and don't overcharge the battery.

fantastico

My anniversary present looks cool, BUT i would rather not loose bed space like that. If bed space is lost, then its just a big truck with no purpose.

How much access does one need to the batteries? Could i place a box between the frame rails?

Has anyone ever looked into a fuel pods of sorts, i was thinking of a tall skinny one that was the height of the cab, till the window, and maybe the width of the truck, split down the middle creating two tanks? Might - could this work, it it at all possible?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Fantastico, you sent me a PM some time ago, which I didn't respond to, just forgot, I guess. You are welcome to stop by, of course, and I have trucks here with dual tanks and two with batteries in the cab (M37 and the xm757). Batteries only give off H2 when over charging. The 757 has a stencil on the door about not smoking while driving. Besides, for en explosion to occur, the mix has to be right, at least 5% hydrogen IIRC, and think about all marine applications with batteries in small spaces.
You need access from above to maintain batteries.

Kohburn

there is enough room above the fuel tank under the bed to build a slide out battery box that would hang from the bed frame.