• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Condition

Explorer0863

I need an opinion from the group experts about the condition of this tank. Thanks to a previous post here, I saw a tank that was cut open. Today I opened mine and found a lot of rust. It’s the first time I do this so I don’t know if this is normal for a 59 year old tank or if this excessive rust and the tank is history. After finding all that rust in the center of the tank, I figured that both sides were the same or worse. So I cut both sides open. Using a scraper and a steel brush I removed all the rust I could and it looks much better. What do you guys think? Can I save it or it’s a goner? What else should I do before I apply red-kote? Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve never seen anything like this, but it’s the first time I’m attempting to fix a tank. The interior was nasty.
I have to agree that it looks pretty crummy inside. I have seen worse though. It looks to me that you have done a pretty good job of cleaning it up and out. Since you have cut holes in the tank for inspection - finishing the job with a tank liner paint should make it last for as long as you care to drive it...

Might even be worth pressure washing the inside of the tank with hot water. Attach a hose to the bottom of your water heater and have at it. WITH SAFETY GLASSES and a Face Shield. Your goal (obviously) is to make sure that all the loose stuff is gone...

Explorer0863

I have to agree that it looks pretty crummy inside. I have seen worse though. It looks to me that you have done a pretty good job of cleaning it up and out. Since you have cut holes in the tank for inspection - finishing the job with a tank liner paint should make it last for as long as you care to drive it...

Might even be worth pressure washing the inside of the tank with hot water. Attach a hose to the bottom of your water heater and have at it. WITH SAFETY GLASSES and a Face Shield. Your goal (obviously) is to make sure that all the loose stuff is gone...
Thanks for the suggestion Mullaney. I have a gas pressure washer, a face shield and safety glasses. That will be tomorrow’s mission.

It is incredible to me that a gas tank in that condition allowed me to drive home the day I bought the B1. And it ran perfectly! A testament of how well built these M37s are.

GopherHill

I need an opinion from the group experts about the condition of this tank. Thanks to a previous post here, I saw a tank that was cut open. Today I opened mine and found a lot of rust. It’s the first time I do this so I don’t know if this is normal for a 59 year old tank or if this excessive rust and the tank is history. After finding all that rust in the center of the tank, I figured that both sides were the same or worse. So I cut both sides open. Using a scraper and a steel brush I removed all the rust I could and it looks much better. What do you guys think? Can I save it or it’s a goner? What else should I do before I apply red-kote? Thanks!
Your plan is good. After washing, treat the tank with Ospho or something similar.
Weld the tank back together and coat with GOOD tank sealer. You'll be golden.
See one of my previous post about sealing Jerry cans.

Explorer0863

Your plan is good. After washing, treat the tank with Ospho or something similar.
Weld the tank back together and coat with GOOD tank sealer. You'll be golden.
See one of my previous post about sealing Jerry cans.
Thanks. I just bought Ospho. I’ve never used it before. Any tips/tricks welcome.

I’ll search for you Jerry cans thread. I’m sure that it will be very useful. My truck came with one and sounds like maracas inside. Pretty sure that it is in similar or worse condition than my gas tank.

BTW, is red kote considered a good tank sealer?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. I just bought Ospho. I’ve never used it before. Any tips/tricks welcome.

I’ll search for you Jerry cans thread. I’m sure that it will be very useful. My truck came with one and sounds like maracas inside. Pretty sure that it is in similar or worse condition than my gas tank.

Their propaganda reads really well... Good for gas tanks and diesel fuel tanks according to the reading. It even mentions sealing pinholes and that it works on rubber membranes too. I personally have no experience with it to talk about.

I've used Ospho because it was what I could find when I was having a similar problem repair. Then followed with POR to actually seal the tank. Not that it is any better as far as I know.

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
I sealed the tank on my 151 this past February after patching a few bad areas on the bottom. Pretty sure I used KBS brand. I bought the kit - cleaner, prep and seal. Make sure you read the directions and follow them! If not prepped properly, you'll have issues. I had a jig for being able to rotate my tank in different directions and I could lock it in any position I wanted in order to get full coverage. Probably overkill but that's how I did mine.

20220507_224402.jpg20220515_163850.jpg

Explorer0863

I sealed the tank on my 151 this past February after patching a few bad areas on the bottom. Pretty sure I used KBS brand. I bought the kit - cleaner, prep and seal. Make sure you read the directions and follow them! If not prepped properly, you'll have issues. I had a jig for being able to rotate my tank in different directions and I could lock it in any position I wanted in order to get full coverage. Probably overkill but that's how I did mine.

View attachment 875230View attachment 875231
That’s a great idea! I like it.

GopherHill

I had excellent results using KBS sealant.
You can use 5 gallons of vinegar on the Jerry cans. Let it work a week or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks