• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Leak

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our unusual cold temperatures in south Texas has caused several leaks on my deuce. One of these is the fuel tank. After a night of 9 degrees I noticed a small frozen spot under my fuel tank and as it warmed up, I noticed a slight drip spot of the bottom of the tank. The spot was a slight depression or divit (on the outside) and when I scraped it with a small screwdriver, fuel started leaking out. I tried to insert a screw driver in the hole to stop the flow but that did not work and only made it worse. (See pic)

So, the fuel is drained and the tank looks clean on the inside and there was very little sediment in the fuel. Question is, is it possible to braze or weld a patch on my tank with blowing anyone up?

Attachments

Westech

CPL
you have to remove it from the truck .. wash it out ... fill it with water or CO2 and go for it.... The best thing to do is take it to a radiator shop. They can hot tank it and fix it the first time with out blowing up the garage.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the responses. Not to appear stupid but when you remove the fuel pump and the sender unit, how do you fill it with anything?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not to appear stupid but when you remove the fuel pump and the sender unit, how do you fill it with anything?
In your case the leak is on the bottom so filling it with liquid is prob a non-starter....my old welding teacher told us several ways to purge a fuel tank so you could weld/braze on it. One method is to start a small engine and direct the exhaust into the tank to get the oxygen out.....you have to make sure the engine is well tuned so no unburned fuel is injected into the mix.

Since there is one hole in the tank the metal may be real thin and it's only a matter of time until it leaks again....you migh consider lining it as mentioned above or just replacing it with one from a donor truck.

It is not worth making an ash out of yourself for the price of a fuel tank.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree WM. I was not planning to do the welding my self and would take it to a welder or a battery shop as suggested. Also will check on the donor option.

3dAngus

Ha! You beat me to it. Just make sure it's warm when you apply the JB Weld.
For something like that it should be stored in a warm garage overnight before applying. Epoxy works best with higher temps.

until you find a new tank[/QUOTE]

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used it in the past on metal work to be powdercoated. I wonder if it would help to use a heatlamp to cure it?

3dAngus

I have used it in the past on metal work to be powdercoated. I wonder if it would help to use a heatlamp to cure it?
The whole tank need be up to temp for best adhesion and curing factor. Putting warm glue on cold temp steel doesn't work as well, might seperate, and with it holding fuel up, you need the best adhesion combined with the best curing of the epoxy. Mix a little extra hardener in there as well considering it is not summer time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks