• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Pump

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Waited till it was LOW on fuel and undid the tank straps. Then it pulled it out from under the body. It was light enough to slide forward and I used Jackstands to rest it on.

SasquatchSanta

After being the cold spot in the nation one night last week we had a 43 degree meltdown today.

I plugged rosie in last night and she fired right up this morning.

I took a couple of pictures. Please excuse the not yet formalized wireing. We're going to put it in the shop in few days --- making the wireing look good will have to wait until then.

The pump does the job. I'm going to buy a spare to carry with.

Attachments

SasquatchSanta

I held off on making this post because I experienced some fuel problems and not knowing the root I didn't want to didn't want to comment until I had everything sorted out.

First --- Mike's (devilman 96) pump works great. It was easy to install and gets the job done. Not only do I recommend the pump but also Mikes service. Even though I never suspected the pump as being at the root of my problem, and told Mike so, he was very helpful. It's nice to have suppliers that respond. "Thanks Mike."

Regardless of what kind of pump you're running, here is something you should know.

My old LDT engine was always a hard starter. Even in worm weather, after it sat over night it was sometimes easier to give it a shot of ether than to crank on it for for several 10 second bursts. The new LDS engine was a bit easier to start but could still be a bit of a problem in the mornings.

I had heard others say they could run their trucks without the in-tank pump running. I couldn't. When my pump went out, my truck died. Why, was a mystery.

When I installed OD Iron's in-line pump the starting problem got worse. Now what in the heck could be causing this madness!!!???

Here is what I found:

Given that the new OD Iron in-line "sucker" pump was pulling through the old stock in-tank "pusher" pump I was concerned that the in-tank pump might be causing restrictions so I pulled the stock pump for inspection. The configuration of the in-tank pump is so that it doesn't cause a restriction BUT --- there was another problem

I found the 1/2" I.D. rubber fuel line hose that connects the submerged in-tank pump to the top of tank discharge nipple to be so badly deteriorated that the top hose clamp was no longer keeping the hose tightly secured to the top of tank nipple. The old in-tank pusher pump had been burdened by a leaking hose that was allowing air into the fuel system. This explaines the hard starting problem and the inability of the engine to continue running when the in-tank pump failed.

Given that the new in-line pump is a sucker, not a pusher, the air in the line problem was multiplied by the sucker factor.

The moral to this story --- check the in-tank pump hose. Before dong so I recommend you first round up a piece of hose. Given it's 1/2" ID fuel hose it may not be available at your local hardware store.

I believe there a lot of trucks out there that are suffereng from the same problem.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02 I would not short yourself as you could push a little extra towards the inside of frame but you might have a hard time pulling any out. If it was me I would step closer to the tank fitting make that cut and then try and bend the line coming out of the frame to come up more then bend over so that it is on the same plan or level. My lines only represent that the pipe goes into the fitting something like1/2''.

Attachments

jim-m35a2

Would it be better to add the in-line pump after the primary filter or install a in-line filter before the in-line pump? The instructions say not to install the in-line pump more then 24" from the bottom of the tank.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited:

bottleworks

jim-m35a2 said:
Would it be better to add the in-line pump after the primary filter or install a in-line filter before the in-line pump? The instructions say not to install the in-line pump more then 24" from the bottom of the tank.
No. Keep the primary filter on the pressure side of the lift pump.

Rebelpride

I purchased OD Irons fuel pump, and plan to install it using a 3/8" ID copper line the same depth as the intank pump assembly for my pick-up tube and install a Mr. Gasket Clear fuel filter pre-pump to catch rust. Will this little inline filter hold up to diesel and "permissible fuels"

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Don't waste your time with that little filter, it will be full of crap in a couple hundred miles. The deuce pumps a ton of fuel and most of it gets returned to the tank. Stick to the factory type filters or a large spin on. That little junker.. well just send me the 10 bucks for it and save your self some pain.