• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Replacement- Opinions and Experience Appreciated

Fuel Tank Opinions Please

• Spectra Premium GM1B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dorman 576-335

• Other (please reply with product)

• Total voters

scottladdy

Well, it's time to remove the last little bit of GL forklift damage from the old girl. She has a nice little 'V' in the tank, and replacement is in order. 1985 M1008A1.

Also trying to decide if the plastic is worth the extra samolians.

I have been doing some research, and leaning to the following choices. Anyone have good/bad/ugly experience with these or others?

Sherman GM1B (steel)
Spectra Premium GM1B (steel)
MTS 2050A (polyethylene)
Dorman 576335 (steel)

Any other choices? RockAuto has the Sherman at a really sweet price.

Thanks all ...

I'm a HUGE fan of plastic fuel tanks. Almost all new vehicles use them and have for many years with absolutely no issues. Came from a Chevy dealership and have seen many a rusted out MESS of steel fuel tanks dropped out of older trucks and cars. Plastic tanks are always in pristine condition inside and out when dropped for pump replacement. They hold up to a heck of an impact too as they are tough and flexible when needed. Add the skid plate under the steel tanks like these 1008's have and a little mud stuck in between and you're asking for corrosion issues.

:ditto: What he said.
I wouldn't have an issue with a plastic tank. I ran a 93 Ford Ranger in a demo derby a couple years ago. It had a stock plastic tank. It was really hard to get out, we beat the crap out of trying to get it out, big pry bars, sharp edges, squishing it a little, etc. We barely even put scratches in it, let alone any cracks.

Steel tanks I've pulled out of cars almost always have rust inside the tank.

Last edited:

1StumpJumper

I bought two of the MTS tanks for my Willys wagon. They are quite thick and very well built. The exterior is clearly formed from an OE tank mold. The only issue I had with them is the mounts are different since there is no stamped flange to bolt through. This may not be an issue with our trucks. JC Whitney has them $184 w/ free shipping! MTS sells new sending units and straps as well.

MarcusOReallyus

I'm a HUGE fan of plastic fuel tanks. Almost all new vehicles use them and have for many years with absolutely no issues. Came from a Chevy dealership and have seen many a rusted out MESS of steel fuel tanks dropped out of older trucks and cars. Plastic tanks are always in pristine condition inside and out when dropped for pump replacement. They hold up to a heck of an impact too as they are tough and flexible when needed. Add the skid plate under the steel tanks like these 1008's have and a little mud stuck in between and you're asking for corrosion issues.

What he said.

Steel tanks rust.

Polyethylene tanks don't rust.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've only had steel tanks but watched several friends replace theirs with plastic and the plastic burst...one was even a OEM factory install.

I've never had a steel tank rust through or rust contamination, and I drive continually in 4x on the beach. The only time I had to replace one was when the local tire place dropped the truck from 3' off the rack.

2cents

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its called UV degredation. I believe Dodge had a problem with theirs in the early 90's?, and the aftermarket ones were not much better.
I also work on ships and we cannot use plastic for fuel tanks, and after having 2 engine room fires...enough said.
I just do not trust plastic for fuel.2cents

Hmmm. Couldn't find anything of Dodge plastic tank issues when I Googled. Could be that it was just too long ago, as you're talking a quarter century here. To each his own though, and I respect your opinion on tank material preference. Problem is, soon there will be no new vehicles WITHOUT a plastic tank.

Unrelated, but during my search of possible problems, I did run agross this snippet in an article talking about unsafe tanks:

"The ‘73-‘87 Chevy PU gas tank design cost GM more than $500,000,000 in law suits, and is considered the worst cause of automotive design related deaths in history, with a list of victims names over 15 pages long."

How's THAT for trusting a fuel tank?

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
UV degradation won't cause a tank to burst. That requires pressure inside of it. And there's not much chance of UV degradation for a fuel tank sitting underneath a vehicle.

As for polyethylene fuel tanks on boats not being allowed.... Uh, they are dirt common.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/catego...-and-accessories-fuel-tanks-polyethylene.html

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=polyethylene+fuel+tank+boat&ke=1&kn=1
Friend of mine had his 2 yo Dodge fuel tank replaced because of it, saw it on the floor of the dealership, and it had turned white on the top where the bed meets the cab. Perhaps a Monday or Friday built tank?

Perhaps I should have elaborated, Large commercial boats cannot have plastic as fuel tanks. Personally, I use aluminum tanks for my runabouts...