• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Tank Selector

dfanders

Gents,

I have a 1957 M52(gas engine) which had two rusted 55 gal saddle tanks. Both tanks have been removed, and a pony tank was installed. The pony tank runs directly to a 24 volt fule pump and thru a spin on fule filter. The old lines are in place, just disconnected.
I have installed a NOS (out of the crate) gas tank on the drivers side only. Here is the issue:
The Pony tank is a 70 gal from a deuce. I tried to unscrew the fitting from the pickup tube on it and connect it to the new tank - no luck differant size. So now do i :
A) Get fittings to make this work...this is way to easy...
B) Connect the exsisitig lines back in place? My issue with this is that i am only running on one tank ( for now, second tank is still in the works) , and would need to deal with the fuel tank selector switch, so it can't flip over to the passenger tank. I would like to use the orginal system, and somehow lock out the fuel selctor switch. Any good idea out there? I only had a very basic idea of putting two screws in the floor( one on either side of the lever on the switch , so the switch can't move.

Image on left is the NOS tank, after cleaning off surface rust and hitting it with some cover paint. Image on right is old tank that still needs to be cleaned and sealed.

For those wondering..this is Armyman30yearsplus's M52 that he started the restoration on. I wish he was here to see if forward..RIP

Cheers,
David

Attachments

Last edited:

armytruck63

Is the valve handle removeable? If yes, can't you just put the selector valve in the correct position, and then remove the handle? This way, no one can move it to the position where no line is hooked up.

When you get the other tank fixed, you can just put the handle back on.

dfanders

We id's the fuel selector location by blowing compressed air from the fuel filter end back thru the system. @ guys on either end of the fule tank connection. When you feel air- mark. Move selctor, air out the other side- Mark. Intresting that in the middle postion fuel is shut off from both tanks. We can remove the lever on the selctor by a small phillps screw.

Thanks for your advice !

Cheers,
David