• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank strainer real bad rust

williamspartyof4

I recently bought a 923 and had it shipped to my Dad's place in Alabama. You can imagine the excitement when I drove down from PA yesterday and saw it for the first time. It is a beast!

However, my Dad pointed out the interior is extremely rusted on the fuel tank cap and strainer. My question is, does anyone know of where I can get these few pieces?

Im sure I will be asking more questions in the next day or so after I can get a chance to look around this fine beast.
brian

FloridaAKM

The strainer is to catch foreign matter when fueling in the field. The diesel @ the pump has been filtered many times & shouldn't cause you any problems unless you are fueling out of cans just sitting around! If you just have to have one, check in the classifieds & you might find one there.

Welcome to the Green Iron Club.

SLOrazorsedge

Yup, I just posted a few weeks ago about this. The oxidation turns into a heavy white corroded powder. One of the sources of corrupting my fuel system on my wrecker. I've removed them from all of my trucks. I may send them off to be cadmium plated or one of the newer tougher anti-corrosion materials. There on there pretty tight. A large ratchet rubber strap wrench and you can remove them without damage i.e. pipe wrench.

Landbarger

Are any of these fuel strainers press fit? My 929's strainers are extremely rusty and need to come out, but I have no idea how to pull them. There isn't any threading or lip on the strainer exposed above the threads of the fuel tank so I can't use any type of clamping wrench to get a grip on them (i.e., pipe wrench). How do you get a hold on these things from the inside to pull them out?

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bung is welded to the tank. The strainer threads on the bung. The cap threads on the strainer. Put a strap or chain wrench around the smooth collar in the picture and then lefty loosey. The strainer threads are inside the collar.

20160513_095857.jpg

SLOrazorsedge

I had same problem on my trucks, rubber strap wrench would not break them loose , bought a chain wrench and ooohla came right off. Can't find any NOS units, looking to send them out and get them re-plated.

Where did you score the new unit Swamp Donkey?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you score the new unit Swamp Donkey?
It was in a surplus lot I was digging through.

They pop up on Ebay every now and then but run a bit high on price from what I've seen. I know where a couple of them are for a good price though. I won't post the info here since there are only a couple available. PM me if interested and I'll give you a link.