• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank / tool box brackets

3rdmdqm

While disassembling and stripping for paint the heavy steel L brackets that bolt to the frame and support/hold the fuel tank and tool box, I noticed the mating surfaces of the brackets were lined with what appears to be a thin webbing strip. I'm guessing this was used to prevent vibration and moisture/rust? They are old and brittle and need to be replaced. I was thinking of replacing these with ice/rain shield rubber membrane used as a waterproof membrane/sheathing/flashing on home exteriors. It can be cut into any width/length strip needed and is a nice thickness. Has anyone else done this or am I missing something and would need to put the actual webbing strap back on for some reason? The rain/ice barrier comes with a sticky adhesive already on one side and bonds like glue.

rustystud

While disassembling and stripping for paint the heavy steel L brackets that bolt to the frame and support/hold the fuel tank and tool box, I noticed the mating surfaces of the brackets were lined with what appears to be a thin webbing strip. I'm guessing this was used to prevent vibration and moisture/rust? They are old and brittle and need to be replaced. I was thinking of replacing these with ice/rain shield rubber membrane used as a waterproof membrane/sheathing/flashing on home exteriors. It can be cut into any width/length strip needed and is a nice thickness. Has anyone else done this or am I missing something and would need to put the actual webbing strap back on for some reason? The rain/ice barrier comes with a sticky adhesive already on one side and bonds like glue.
I used an old inner tube and cut it into strips and using adhesive glue bonded it to my brackets. Has worked great for years now.
So your idea should work also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks