• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank

MBMajor

Hey, not sure where to post this, but I need some advice. I just bought a CJ3A and I think I should flush the fuel tank out before I get it running. Any suggestions on the best way? Is it best to remove it and clean it out? I also need a battery and some work on the brakes. Any suggestions on the brakes? Any input from y'all would be much appreciated. I'd really like to get that beast running before winter sets in...that's early here in SD!
MBMajor

timberline

Hey MBMajor, I drive a 1946 CJ3A as a daily driver. I have several sources for parts and have been under, around and inside this thing a few times. I am not always on the forum but if you will pm me I will give you any information I have!
Tough little truck and very simple...just like me...thats why I keep it!
Clint

devilman96

Best way to clean out a fuel tank is with hydrochloric acid (muriatic, pool acid)... Takes 1 or 2 gallons pending how bad the tank is. Dilute the acid about 25% with water and slosh the tank around every 5 minutes or so. Usually will take about 30 minutes to do, an hour if suborn... When you are done, rinse pour in a box of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with a little water, then rinse again...

If you have any sodder joints on the bottom of the tank (drain plugs, etc) do a quick pressure check with soapy water before reinstalling.

Pic below is of my Deuce tank... I WISH I would have taken a before shot, it was horrid!

Attachments

MBMajor

Pictures

I finally took a picture of this beast. One other question...I have a straight pipe out the exhaust manifold. It ends under the floorboards. I also have a flowmaster. I am not sure about putting it on the jeep, but all I would have to pay for is installation. Any ideas? Oh, also, any ideas on seats? I can't afford to spend $600 for frames and cushions. Thanks!
MBMajor

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks