• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel use per Hr.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, but there was a thread about going to pick up their deuce and the GL guy told him it would run, because he had cranked it to move it the day before. When he got to the truck, it was still running! At least 16 hours at idle. YMMV

SudoSeth

I couldn't find where I had written it down or which manual I found it in, but as far as I recall the Deuce burns around 3/4 to 1 gallon of diesel per hour while idling. When you're driving it should use around 5.4GPH (48mph/8.5MPG). Though these are just ball park estimates and my memory.

I would also be interested in finding the TM that has the idle fuel consumption rate.

Keith_J

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't find where I had written it down or which manual I found it in, but as far as I recall the Deuce burns around 3/4 to 1 gallon of diesel per hour while idling. When you're driving it should use around 5.4GPH (48mph/8.5MPG). Though these are just ball park estimates and my memory.

I would also be interested in finding the TM that has the idle fuel consumption rate.
My experiences agree with these numbers (approx). Long hours with the crane...

digitaldust

this is great information thanks a lot guys I like to let her run and run and run ....
I thought making a generator from a deuce motor to run my place and buildings

SudoSeth

A Deuce motor tied to a generator is probably overkill for most people. 130 HP is enough for around 65KW of electricity (give or take) but if you have a need for that much electricity I think it could work well. I think it might be more cost effective to get a used standard diesel generator, but if you have the parts at the ready and want the multi-fuel benefits, more power to you :-D

I have my Deuce's alternator tied to a 6 deep cycle batteries and an inverter which, while it doesn't put out enough power for a refrigerator or AC unit, powers lights and computers very nicely. When there is no mains power to recharge the batteries I can just let the truck idle for a while.

TexAndy

A Deuce motor tied to a generator is probably overkill for most people. 130 HP is enough for around 65KW of electricity (give or take) but if you have a need for that much electricity I think it could work well. I think it might be more cost effective to get a used standard diesel generator, but if you have the parts at the ready and want the multi-fuel benefits, more power to you :-D

I have my Deuce's alternator tied to a 6 deep cycle batteries and an inverter which, while it doesn't put out enough power for a refrigerator or AC unit, powers lights and computers very nicely. When there is no mains power to recharge the batteries I can just let the truck idle for a while.
I'd love to see pictures of this setup.

Got the batteries connected to a slave cable receptacle?

SudoSeth

I connected the batteries through some plastic tubing directly to the battery bank stored in the box. I've made a writeup and added some pictures to my Blog if you want to read more about my truck.

The whole truck functions as a UPS, so when it's parked at home I have my servers and some lights in my house plugged into it all the time. As long as the house has mains power nothing seems different. If the power goes out the truck instantly switches to battery power and my servers keep on running. If the batteries start getting low I just turn on the truck and flip a switch on the dash and the batteries begin charging while the inverter runs off of the alternator.

More pictures of the setup can be found here.

Attachments