• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full air brakes on a deuce

SasquatchSanta

I'm no expert on brakes --- I'm going off of what I've been told which may be wrong BUT --- I'm told if you turn/machine the deuce drums so the shoes have a smooth surface to push against and if you use shoe material that is a little softer and therefore has I higher frictional coefficiency (more grabbing power) AND --- if you keep the mud out of them they will give you all the breaking power you need.

This would mean the softer lining (shoes) would wear out faster. but how many miles do we put on these trucks? "IF" this is true, for non-off roaders that can keep their brakes clean the stock brakes would be satisfactory.

The nice thing about disc brakes is that they are self cleaning. The bad thing is that they are open to the elements and therefore rust.

If disc brakes are so great why does all the heavy stuff have drum brakes.

I don't have a problem with the brakes on my bobber.

I "think" in Minnesota you are required to have a CDL when running straight air brakes.

jblack6527

I agree with Santa, most all large trucks (that I've been around anyway) still run drum brakes. More surface area per brake than a disc, unless those are some huge calipers. One thing I still don't understand, is why everyone is always saying the deuce brakes are so bad? Mine are good enough that I have to be careful stopping that I don't lock the tires up empty. With 5,000 pounds of gravel, they are still more than sufficient. I wonder if people aren't just driving their trucks like they would a 3/4 ton truck??

Nonotagain

This would mean the softer lining (shoes) would wear out faster. but how many miles do we put on these trucks? "IF" this is true, for non-off roaders that can keep their brakes clean the stock brakes would be satisfactory.

If disc brakes are so great why does all the heavy stuff have drum brakes.

I don't have a problem with the brakes on my bobber.

I "think" in Minnesota you are required to have a CDL when running straight air brakes.
Soft brake pad material actually melts when the brakes are applied hard. The heat generated casues a soft brake pedal as the heat is transfered to componenets, i.e the brake shoe, and the wheel cylinder causing brake fluid to boil. Boiling brake fluid isn't quite the problem with DOT 5 silicone .

The problem with the Deuce brakes is that you can only generate so much force with a hydraulic wheel cylinder pushing against approximately 160 inches of pad surface area per wheel.

A semi-metallic brake shoe will provide additional stopping power when hot, but need to be warmed up before they will work cold, and the wear out brake drums faster than a soft shoe will.

More and more over the road tractor trailers are using disc brakes for ease of maintanance, lower weight and better stopping power.