• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full hydro steering on a deuce?

powerhouseduece

is there anyone here running full hydro or assit? i need a few ideas. is it possible to use a chevy steering pump with a kit,(psc steering) i would like to put this on my m35 and i did a search on it and i couldent find alot of pics. anny help would be great. thanks

Jakob

RE: full hydro steering on a duece?

I'd like to know any answers you get. I have most of the parts to a Chevy hydro-assist setup already.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hehe if I were going to mount another accessory, it would be a air conditioning compressor!

Angus1

I dont know how you have your truck taged, or what yo use it for but in most states full hydro steering is illegal. You must have a mechanical connection between the wheel and the steering mechanism.

55Cameo

I do run full hydro on mine. I don't think that it is illegal in Florida since all of the concrete trucks running around have it on them. At least the ones around here. It is a great system from PSC with a return to center orbital valve. It will also still steer without the engine running. Probably about like trying to turn it with manual steering without the truck moving. Not the easiest thing in the world, but if the engine quit while you were going down the road, it will still steer to get you stopped. It does away with the thumb breaking, and you can steer 53" tires with a pinky finger in 4 feet of mud or sitting still.

The MAIN problem with guys running full hydro is they dont use a kit like PSC, or do the research and make sure they got a system that works good with each other. Improper flow rates, or no return to center, wrong cylinder set ups, etc. and this can make for a very bad day. They just try to do it the cheap way. or "well i got this and this laying around here" and then thats when things go WAY WRONG!!

55Cameo

I fully agree with that last statement! Please, if you are looking into full hydro on any vehicle especially if it is going on the highway, get an engineered system from someone like PSC. They have worked out everything, are very knowlegable over the phone, and will 'steer' you in the correct direction. :) If you put together a system that isn't compatable, you can have a very scary mess on your hands, not to mention all of the others that you could be endangering.

powerhouseduece

thanks trango good eye! i was just going to contact psc because they have a ram desighned for the rockwell and 55cameo, i was also wondering if anyone used a single end ram and witch they perfer. i got the know how and a friends shop i just want to get it right the first time

55Cameo

I got a 3" dia double ended ram from PSC, I think that it has a 9" stroke. Also, the pump is not stock. It is higher pressure and volume. When you call them, just ask them about the stuff they sold me (Allan Cotton) sometime in Feburary of this year. If they don't know exactly what I purchased let me know and I can get the part numbers off of the invoice for you. I don't think that the single ended ram is a good idea for street use. Everyone that I talked to says that you end up with more turns of the wheel one way over the other and it doesn't feel normal.

55Cameo

The part #'s are:SC-2217, 3"x 9" double ended ram
FH-PSC200/3, 12.0 C.I. steering control valve
FH-CLC04, steering column (use whatever length you need)
PSC-SC16, Large clevis end kit
SP-1405K, Hi-volume pump w/steel can and remote reservoir kit
BK-MB22, orbitrol mount to 1.750" tubing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks