• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

full length 4x4 deuce

lavarok

To clarify some of the info in this thread, the three photos I posted are of a truck that belongs to my friend Justin. I hooked him up with the original deuce and he had his friend Jerry do the 4x4 build. Jerry's truck is the 4x4 deuce in the video in post #1. Jerry does truck builds in South Florida.

I am trying to get Justin to come online and post more photos. I am pretty sure they are 53" tires. The drive shaft was custom built by Jerry. Blocks were added to lift the truck and to raise the steering linkage. I think the rims came from a shop in Northern Fl, dont recall the name.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce09 that is a pretty darned neat looking truck the way you want to do it, the ONLY drawback would be that your chances of getting high centered would be increased and this of course would be dependant on what you are going to do with the truck when done, it does look mighty nice that way though, please post pics when you get the project started its a neat idea!
KK

IMA944T

With the 53's it looks great. Needs steering axle in rear to take care of any turning problems. I would also like to know the wheelbase. Would like to know how it handles on highway and what speed it likes to cruise at.

oldMan99

Several people have asked about the wheelbase. It looks like the bed has not been moved or altered (Shortened/lengthened) from it's stock length/location.

When you measure the wheelbase of a tandem truck, the proper way to do it is from the center of the front axle to the center BETWEEN the tandem axles. On a stock Deuce that rear mark is right about where that "Loop thing" hanging from the bottom of the bed is (What is that thing for anyway?)

On the truck in the above post (Post #48 ) the center of the rear axle is almost exactly under the "Hanging loopey thing" which as noted is where the factory wheel base also falls.... So... The WB of this "Long Bob" is actually the same as the factory Deuce.... (Maybe not exactly but within an inch or two anyway).

The truck on page 3 post #22 it looks like the rear axle is back about 6 inches or so. It is hard to tell because there is not a real good direct side on picture to see. But for that truck add about 6" to the stock WB and you would be close.

I would think that the one in post 48 would have a turn radius about the same as or at worse, not that much larger than that of a stock Deuce as long as the steering geometry was properly addressed. The truck in post 22 would obviously be a bit larger but with a WB only 6" or so longer (Again assuming proper steering geometry) the turn radius should not be more than a few feet larger than a stock Deuce.

And yeah, I really like the looks of it too. I want to do one on a 5 ton! Or maybe a Deuce with a high performance Cumapart 5.9 and auto trans, that would be a blast and a half.....

Last edited:

tm america

I'm really curious why you would want to do this mod?It would have a worse turning radius than a stock duece .It' wouldnt do any better than a stock deuce with 46s and would have less cargo capacity.It would have a worse departure angle than a stock deuce with 46s..the only thing you would be doing is loosing about 1000lbs ..but the articulation in the rear would be nill compared to a stock deuce...And a stock multifuel pushing 1600s is not the best thing ..it does look alot better than a reg bobber and you can switch it back at a later date ..:driver:if your goal is to run 1600s why not just put a 5 ton rear suspension under the deuce with the stock axles..you'll have the clearance for 1600s..more spring capacity and still have great articulation and the added traction of 6x6..

Last edited:

eldgenb

I'm really curious why you would want to do this mod?It would have a worse turning radius than a stock duece .It' wouldnt do any better than a stock deuce with 46s and would have less cargo capacity.It would have a worse departure angle than a stock deuce with 46s..the only thing you would be doing is loosing about 1000lbs ..but the articulation in the rear would be nill compared to a stock deuce...And a stock multifuel pushing 1600s is not the best thing ..it does look alot better than a reg bobber and you can switch it back at a later date ..:driver:if your goal is to run 1600s why not just put a 5 ton rear suspension under the deuce with the stock axles..you'll have the clearance for 1600s..more spring capacity and still have great articulation and the added traction of 6x6..

One of these days you will actually get someone to change their mind.. Keep up the good fight..:mrgreen:

yeager1

It would have a worse turning radius than a stock duece
A 4x4 deuce will turn much better then a 6x6 (with equal wheelbases), due to the fact that the rear dual axles on a 6x6 fight each other (or the tires 'scrub' as the are dragged sideways) in a turn. Commercial trucks have an interaxle differential to prevent this; 2.5 tons do not.
Also, cargo capacity is not effected much, as the axles are rated (I believe) for 14k each- the load ratings are limited by other factors
Other advantages are:
Pros of 4x- improved

1. * turning radius

* fuel mileage

* power and speed- due to less weight and resistance

* lots of room for any type of auxiliry tranny

* better snow performance

* 14-20's or 16-20s are much easier to fit

* you only need to buy 4 of those expensive rims and tires

tm america

A 4x4 deuce will turn much better then a 6x6 (with equal wheelbases), due to the fact that the rear dual axles on a 6x6 fight each other (or the tires 'scrub' as the are dragged sideways) in a turn. Commercial trucks have an interaxle differential to prevent this; 2.5 tons do not.
Also, cargo capacity is not effected much, as the axles are rated (I believe) for 14k each- the load ratings are limited by other factors
Other advantages are:
Pros of 4x- improved

1. * turning radius

* fuel mileage

* power and speed- due to less weight and resistance

* lots of room for any type of auxiliry tranny

* better snow performance

* 14-20's or 16-20s are much easier to fit

* you only need to buy 4 of those expensive rims and tires
The turning radius will be uneffected if the wheel base is the same ...There will be less binding in turns with a 4x4 .. But they are increasing the wheel base by around 12 inches or more.. So turn radius will suffer. Acceleration will be better on dry pavement but off road there will be a huge loss. i ran my stock deuce in the 4 and 6 cylinder class at the mud drag and i got second place ...the only thing that beat me was a willys with a grand national engine.. he beat me by 1 tenth of a sec..So all that weight savings and turning wieght means nothing if you don't get traction..Oh did i mention my truck weighs three times as much as the next heavyest truck in that class?.Traction suffers by loss in articulation and less tires to carry the load when loaded..As for what trans fits? there is not difference 4x4 or 6x6.. the transfer case needs to be moved back to use many different trans,, You can move the t case back probably 12 inches with a stock deuce.. I dont think there are mamy transmissions that would require it to be moved back more than that?You can keep it 6x6 and still run 1400s or 1600s if you go with a 5 ton rear suspension ..As for only having to buy 4 vs 6 tires definately a savings of a couple hundred bucks..
After i watched first hand a bobber with 1100s get stuck several times and slide all over when stock deuces with 900s went right throught the same spot without even trying ..I know without a doupt one of the biggest cons of 4x4 vs 6x6..there is no comparison between the two when you take them offroad..

eldgenb

i ran my stock deuce in the 4 and 6 cylinder class at the mud drag and i got second place ...the only thing that beat me was a willys with a grand national engine.. he beat me by 1 tenth of a sec..So all that weight savings and turning wieght means nothing if you don't get traction..Oh did i mention my truck weighs three times as much as the next heavyest truck in that class?.

The thing is, this is the "deuce mod and hot rod" forum, I have seen more than enough of these types of posts and it is not stopping anyone from doing what they want with their property. Also who else does all of the above offroad competition? if that was the case this would be the SS mud bogg and bad a$$ forum but its not. To each their own, no one should have to defend their decision or be challenged when they are seeking information from "like minded individuals".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks